What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sun Too Intense?? What Should I do?

• Thread starter EvoWake
  • Start date
Hey guys, I've been keeping my plants outside, and there hasn't been much progress. I'm getting fed up with the weather here. I just moved my plants into the shade, because the thermometer reads 107° F in direct sun. And throughout the day, there will hardly be a time when the sun is under 90° So I've been forced to leave my plants in lit, but shaded areas outside, but I feel like I'm depriving them of much needed light! What should I do!? Also how long should I expect to wait before I notice considerable change in the appearance/growth of the plant?

Thanks Guys!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (EvoWake @ July 24 2006,11:39)]Hey guys, I've been keeping my plants outside, and there hasn't been much progress. I'm getting fed up with the weather here. I just moved my plants into the shade, because the thermometer reads 107° F in direct sun. And throughout the day, there will hardly be a time when the sun is under 90° So I've been forced to leave my plants in lit, but shaded areas outside, but I feel like I'm depriving them of much needed light! What should I do!? Also how long should I expect to wait before I notice considerable change in the appearance/growth of the plant?

Thanks Guys!
As long as the temp. (measured in the shade) doesn't go above 110F, your plants should be fine. They need lots of light to produce dew and grow well. You also might want to give them sun from sunrise to 1PM, and then put them in the shade for the rest of the afternoon.
dewy

Which plants do you have (again)? Most sundews do just fine on a sunny window sill. They turn red. They flower. They don't get aphids...

Well, i have 3 different Dionaea, a S. Pupurea, and what i believe is D.intermedia. i can't even leave them in the sun in the morning.. the therm. sometimes reads as high as 116 ° when left in the sun.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (EvoWake @ July 24 2006,12:14)]Well, i have 3 different Dionaea, a S. Pupurea, and what i believe is D.intermedia. i can't even leave them in the sun in the morning.. the therm. sometimes reads as high as 116 ° when left in the sun.
I have all 3 outside, although I just brought my VFT's inside, to a screened window. The critters are getting to them. My temps have been in the 80's and 90's, recently. They thrive in that, but man, 116 is just plain ridiculous! Even in the Sountheast, where VFT's and many Sarracemias come from, it is normally in the 90's for the summer. Not sure about D. intermedia. but I'm guessing it is comparable. Can you put them under artificial lighting?

I don't have artificial lighting that is strong enought to simulate a photoperiod. The temps outside in the shade are alright, but as soon as the thermometer is placed in sunlight it skyrockets to at least 100. In otherwords, the actual temp is probably 90-95, but when something sits still in the sun, it warms to over 100. darn chicago weather
mad.gif
i'll take a picture of where they're at right now so you see what i've got, and if it seems to be sufficient light or not.

Here: The first is to give you an idea of what the surrounding area looks like. The porch is facing east. Below is a picture of where the CP's are placed.
2918401_1024.ts1153758972919.jpg

2918370_1024.ts1153758880798.jpg

Chicago? I thought you were in the desert SW! Obviously, we are ALL in a bit of a heat wave for now. East would actually be pretty good for acclimating the plants to direct sun. We all have different situation to deal with - sun exposure, heat, cold, money,...., so I understand being limited by the variables. I would have them at the porch for awhile, anyway, and keep them watered.

Well I certianly hope they'll do alright. Once this heat wave passes, I'm sure I'll be able to let'em sit in the sun for a few hours a day, for sure by august I would think. I'm tempted to visit the nursery to pick up a couple more plants, but I would at least like to know that what I've got will thrive! Oh, and upon inspection, it seems as though the S. Pup. is getting it's fair share of meals already
smile_m_32.gif

Alright! We had 5 minutes of rain, and now the temp is steady at 87° in the sunshine!
biggrin.gif

ugh, can't win back to 100° Back to the porch they go. if I leave them in this sun, i noticed the thinest parts of the plants turn brown, would new leaves be more immune to this, or is the plant incapable of adapting like this? Theyre back under the porch right now...

Existing growth may fry, but new growth is a gamble. Always best to start off in "bright shade" first for a couple weeks and then move closer to the sun.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (EvoWake @ July 24 2006,2:38)]ugh, can't win back to 100° Back to the porch they go. if I leave them in this sun, i noticed the thinest parts of the plants turn brown, would new leaves be more immune to this, or is the plant incapable of adapting like this? Theyre back under the porch right now...
The leaves turning brown is normal when acclimating plants to the outdoors. The new leaves should be very healthy and hardy in time.

About the temp. being over 100F in the sun, this is completely normal because the solar radiation from the sun actually warms the thermometer much higher than the actual temperature and is a misrepresentation of the actual temperature. Put the thermometer in the shade and see what is reads. As long as the temperature stays below 110F in the shade, then your plants will be perfectly fine.
dewy

This heat wave that is gripping the west right now is regularly giving me daytime temps of over 110*F in the shade. All of my outside plants are still right in the same places they were before the heat wave came. I have not lost a single plant to the heat yet, not even the Nepenthes.

Personally, with the excepion of the Drosera intermedia, I would find a permanent home for those plants where they will get direct sun from sunrise till about 2 or 3 pm. Put them there and leave them alone. All that moving about is not going to help them at all. As mentioned, existing leaves will probably fry, but new growth will be hardened off and should grow out fine. Also dont freak out if the first couple of the new traps that come up fry on the top before the trap forms.

Cheers
Steve

[b said:
Quote[/b] (vft guy in SJ @ July 25 2006,1:50)]This heat wave that is gripping the west right now is regularly giving me daytime temps of over 110*F in the shade. All of my outside plants are still right in the same places they were before the heat wave came. I have not lost a single plant to the heat yet, not even the Nepenthes.

Personally, with the excepion of the Drosera intermedia, I would find a permanent home for those plants where they will get direct sun from sunrise till about 2 or 3 pm. Put them there and leave them alone. All that moving about is not going to help them at all. As mentioned, existing leaves will probably fry, but new growth will be hardened off and should grow out fine. Also dont freak out if the first couple of the new traps that come up fry on the top before the trap forms.

Cheers
Steve
wow, you answered my question before i even answered it. In the shade the temp reads anywhere from 87 - 93 ish, so in leaving them in the sun ought to be alright?poor plants, i feel bad to see existing growth broil, but if this is what will happen then that's fine i suppose

[b said:
Quote[/b] (EvoWake @ July 25 2006,3:53)]wow, you answered my question before i even answered it. In the shade the temp reads anywhere from 87 - 93 ish, so in leaving them in the sun ought to be alright?poor plants, i feel bad to see existing growth broil, but if this is what will happen then that's fine i suppose
Sounds fine to me. The new growth will turn brown and shrivel up while the new growth should be very healthy and hardy.
dewy

Back