User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sun Too Intense?? What Should I do?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey guys, I've been keeping my plants outside, and there hasn't been much progress. I'm getting fed up with the weather here. I just moved my plants into the shade, because the thermometer reads 107 F in direct sun. And throughout the day, there will hardly be a time when the sun is under 90 So I've been forced to leave my plants in lit, but shaded areas outside, but I feel like I'm depriving them of much needed light! What should I do!? Also how long should I expect to wait before I notice considerable change in the appearance/growth of the plant?

Thanks Guys!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (EvoWake @ July 24 2006,11:39)]Hey guys, I've been keeping my plants outside, and there hasn't been much progress. I'm getting fed up with the weather here. I just moved my plants into the shade, because the thermometer reads 107 F in direct sun. And throughout the day, there will hardly be a time when the sun is under 90 So I've been forced to leave my plants in lit, but shaded areas outside, but I feel like I'm depriving them of much needed light! What should I do!? Also how long should I expect to wait before I notice considerable change in the appearance/growth of the plant?

Thanks Guys!
    As long as the temp. (measured in the shade) doesn't go above 110F, your plants should be fine. They need lots of light to produce dew and grow well. You also might want to give them sun from sunrise to 1PM, and then put them in the shade for the rest of the afternoon.
    dewy
    John 3:16
    My grow list/want list
    Prior to the funeral home visit, we heard ~ "Hey'all watch this ! !"

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Which plants do you have (again)? Most sundews do just fine on a sunny window sill. They turn red. They flower. They don't get aphids...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, i have 3 different Dionaea, a S. Pupurea, and what i believe is D.intermedia. i can't even leave them in the sun in the morning.. the therm. sometimes reads as high as 116 when left in the sun.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (EvoWake @ July 24 2006,12:14)]Well, i have 3 different Dionaea, a S. Pupurea, and what i believe is D.intermedia. i can't even leave them in the sun in the morning.. the therm. sometimes reads as high as 116 when left in the sun.
    I have all 3 outside, although I just brought my VFT's inside, to a screened window. The critters are getting to them. My temps have been in the 80's and 90's, recently. They thrive in that, but man, 116 is just plain ridiculous! Even in the Sountheast, where VFT's and many Sarracemias come from, it is normally in the 90's for the summer. Not sure about D. intermedia. but I'm guessing it is comparable. Can you put them under artificial lighting?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have artificial lighting that is strong enought to simulate a photoperiod. The temps outside in the shade are alright, but as soon as the thermometer is placed in sunlight it skyrockets to at least 100. In otherwords, the actual temp is probably 90-95, but when something sits still in the sun, it warms to over 100. darn chicago weather i'll take a picture of where they're at right now so you see what i've got, and if it seems to be sufficient light or not.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here: The first is to give you an idea of what the surrounding area looks like. The porch is facing east. Below is a picture of where the CP's are placed.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chicago? I thought you were in the desert SW! Obviously, we are ALL in a bit of a heat wave for now. East would actually be pretty good for acclimating the plants to direct sun. We all have different situation to deal with - sun exposure, heat, cold, money,...., so I understand being limited by the variables. I would have them at the porch for awhile, anyway, and keep them watered.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast