Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Albino D.filiformis var. tracyii

Metal King
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a couple of what I have been told are super-rare pure albino D.filiformis var tracyii plants which have produced hordes of seeds.
    I have been toild they should be true to the parent but I just wanted to get a few more opinions on it before I make a trade and someone gets plain ol D.filiformis var tracyii plants next year and is mad at me

And I am POSITIVE as to the totaly albinicity (I'm also positive that "albinicity" is a made-up word but hey, at least I know that) of tha plant and it's relative rarity (possibly moreso in Canada I guess) but I really want to know if I can make more with seeds since sending cuttings doesn't usually work too good

Any thoughts??
    Da Growlist

"You don't need a license to drive a sandwich"-Spongebob Squarepants

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Carl,

If by albino we are refering to an anthocyanin-free plant then yes, the seed should breed true. Antho-free is recessive so all selfed seed should only contain the recessive allele.

ANd on a tangent note. I am guessing that the only difference between this plant and a typical ssp. tracyi is that this one has white blooms. Is that correct?
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat
    Hagerstown, Maryland

--
    actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat

Metal King
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the reply Travis!!
    I suppose that the white flower is the onlyreal noticable difference, since the last "tpyical" D.filiformis var tracyii I had looked pretty much the same but with pink flowers. It seems to be a tad more robust as well, but considering I killed the last one, maybe the things I've learned since then could just be making it larger (PS it isn't an "oddball" but would you want some seeds??)
    Da Growlist

"You don't need a license to drive a sandwich"-Spongebob Squarepants

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just in case the plants from seeds don't breed true or don't germinate, I would strongly suggest that you take as many leaf cuttings as you can and propogate that way, as a backup plan. As they say on Long Island, "It may not help, but it vouldn't hoit".