What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. falconeri

JB_OrchidGuy

Cardiac Nurse
I just finalized a trade for some plants, and one of the plants I am getting is a D. falconeri with new leaf growth, and its about nickle sized from what I am told. Will it grow well in a tray like my capensis and capilaris? I am also having good luck with intermedia, tokaensis, and one other I can't remember right off hand. I grow all those in straight peat. Will the D. falconeri grow just as well in straight peat? Thanks for any advice.

In my experience with petiolaris and from what I have read they like a looser media. I use a sort of strange mix of 2/1/1 sand/LFS/pine bark mulch. They like things warmer too and I have mine in a tank with a reptile heat pad stuck to the back. The water level is only about 1-2 cm deep and I let it drop to empty before refilling. D. falconeri tends to be a bit more forgiving than the other petiolaris and I have heard that in habitat it gets flooded so you can probably keep it a little wetter but I have never tried.

Cool col thanks for the info! I will have to try that. My GH gets warm so thats not a problem. I will try that media sine i Have a little sand left from the adelea progect, and I have LFS. Do you think cypris mulch would be ok instead of the pine bark?

Honestly the pine bark mulch can probably be done without or replaced with peat. I bought the mulch on a whim for another project and then ended up trying some for use with my Neps. Since then I have used it for just about everything with good results but I might just be lucky or tempting fate.

Even if you have this in a greenhouse, i would recommend that it go into a covered container at first. This group sometimes needs very high humidity, especially if that is how its grown now. Abrupt changes can spell death!
confused.gif

I use a pretty standard cp mix of 2:2:1 sand, peat, perlite for my petiolaris group.
Good luck!
smile_m_32.gif

Just curious will this sundew grow well in a lowland terrarium with day temps in the 90's and night temps in the 70's with constant 80%+ humidity?

And if it likes a looser media will strait LFS work?

kuos to pingman. Petiolaris group likes the loose media, I have my falconeri in peat and sand approx 20% peat 80% silica sand. keep it HOT and humid in growth, and dry and mild in winter.

I would say be wary of the combination of very wet and humid at least at first. Warm is good! I try for a loose mix of perlite and LFS with some sand and/or laterite thrown in kept moist, but not sodden - and in high humidity until well rooted after which my plants preferred outdoor conditions 40-70 per cent humidity in glass terraria without covers, and full sun. It worked like a charm in the past. Joseph makes a good point, sudden radical changes are NOT appreciated by the plants, and if you get it growing leave it alone and don't try to improve things too soon.

I too just got this beautiful plant.
Soil mix: equal parts peat moss, perlite, and sand. Top 1/4" or so sand.
I grow it in a terrarium. The temp gets to the mid 80's. I have read, and some growers I know keep this plant very warm 95 degrees and up. So I took some temp readings of my tank. About 2" below my Sunpack CF lighting, the temps get to the mid 90's. So I raised my plant up close to the lights, not for the added light, but for the added heat.
I've had it a month and a half and it's doing great.

Dfalconeri.jpg

smile_k_ani_32.gif
that one puts my lil guy to shame, VERY nice

Thanks.

It really too off after I got it. Seemed not to have any shipping shock at all.
Here's a picture of when I first got it in a 2" pot.
The plant is a lot bigger and fuller as you can tell from the first picture I posted. I guess I must be doing something right.

dfalarrive.jpg

mine didnt have any shipping shock either. give me another two months and maybe ill catch up
smile_n_32.gif
mine isnt as close to the lights but is being kept at about a constant 87 degrees with 80% humidity with a 12/12 light schedule placed 10 inches from 2 T8's, these were to be my "get it adjusted" conditions but it seems to love it so i aint moving it.

Thanks guys for the info! I might just have to clean out that fish tank I am using for a stock tank of azzola and use it to keep humidity up for some plants and just leave the top open water in the bottom and plants eased up so they do not sit in the water. Keep the water level up so there is constan humidity around the plants. Hmm might work for some ghost orchids too. Next experiment!! Why didn't I think of something like this for the ceph I think I just killed. Arggg

Note to self: Get a hold of a D. falconeri...
smile_m_32.gif

Great looking plants guys, by the way.

Back