What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. Regia Root Cuttings

I took some D. Regia root cuttings ~3 weeks ago. I placed the roots on top of live LFS and pressed them down. I wrapped the container with plastic wrap and threw it under my grow lights. I've been adding water to the container to keep it from drying out. The moss is still alive...

Still no buds. Any ideas how long it takes?

I'm guessing a bit more than 3 weeks
biggrin.gif
??

Shouldn't be much longer tho, I'd figure, maybe you just haven't sighted one yet??

I think mine started budding at about 5 or so weeks... But they still contenue to pop up more. I used 3 different methods with my D. regia "Big Easy" and all methods have worked. (I did it 3 ways to have a better chance of sucess... it seems that didn't matter
smile_m_32.gif
)
1) kinda like you did, keeping the LFS very wet (somewhat bogged) and in my g/h under the sun
2) slightly under a peat/sand mix
3) 1 inch under a lighter media (I'm not too sure what it was... Whatever the original regia from Joseph came in

But all 3 ways are working VERY well. The first one to pop up was where a longer root that I didn't cut down enough was in the "#2 method" but a part of the root was sticking out of the peat/sand media

Whatever they do, I would suggest keeping the cuttings until you have something better to put in that pot. I haven't tried D. regia, but I've had cuttings from other 'dews come to life months after I thought they were toast. It's not dead until it's brown and crispy.
~Joe

It's normal for the roots to look brownish/black right? I just hope they're not turning into mush
smile.gif
. Thanks for the info.

Hmmmm - I took some on June 11. That would be 8 weeks .... Not looking good for the good guys.....
117.gif

Brown? Yes... Mine were brown/black (except the growing tips) when i took them out of the pot. They are still "okay" as long as they are not mushy. That's a benifit of having them on top the media... you can check the roots for non-mushyness (hehe) whenever you want without disturbing them too much. Honestly... I never touched them. Just keept them wet and that's it.
Andrew

Okay- here's some pictures I took... I made them small... So I hope you can see at least some of the propaguels.

method 1 (as described above) 4"x4" pot
regia8_20062.JPG

method 2 (with parents showing some stress of having all their roots cut off... but now starting to come back) 12"x12" pot
regia8_20061.JPG

method 3 (i put only 1 root in here.. But this is where my original regia plants were... so I figured AT LEAST one will grow from here if nothing else... Sure enough 1 has grown. LOL) 3" PVC 10" tall pipe
regia8_20063.JPG

Hope that helps
smile.gif

Andrew

Back