What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I have a cape sundew that will not flower. I've had it for about 8 yrs when I received it as a stowaway with another plant. It's a beautiful "typical" that has produced many off shoots from the roots, I have about 12 plants all growing together now. I keep it in a "natural" terrarium (no pots), with a soil of peat/sand mix. With it I grow D. spatulata (which never seems to stop blooming), D. adelae ( which also bloomes) and Pinguicula primuliflora that blooms every spring. I figure somehow I received a variant that doesn't bloom ( maybe a new cultivar 'non-blooming' HA!HA!). Has anyone else come across this phenomenon? You always hear they can be just like weeds.Thanks Jack

a non blooming capensis? I WANT ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

first guess, ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh im not sure, never heard of one not blooming before

How long do you leave the lights on?

Maybe try different conditions, like at a SW window sill, as a pot sittting in plastic container of water.

I have taken cuttings and tried different conditions and still no flowers.

mine is outside and now has a big flower stalk on it. the plant itself isnt very big probably 4-5in when the leaves on opposite sides are pulled. mine came in as a TINY 2 leaved volunteer and grew from that to now in almost 8 months
Alex

How deep is your pot? My capensis seem to develop much more slowly in shallow containers. Bright light seems to help too - maybe you could try your plants outside for a while.
~Joe

I would try the new conditions and then leave them where they are so they can adjust. I have found that many plants shipped to me don't flower that year but after a few seasons of stability, they will do so - especially pings & utrics.

the thing is, I'm glad it doesn't flower. I was just wondering if it's unusaul for a cape sundew not to flower, since the conditions for my other plants in the same terrarium seems to be good enough for them to flower.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] I've had it for about 8 yrs

even in a shallow pot thats definatly old enough for it to flower, even in crappy conditions all mine will flower in 2 years, good conditions its about 8 months. im serious though i want one, if yah have an extra shoot me a pm, ive got lots of plants to trade

That's pretty strange. Mine flowered within one month of me owning it! If ya have any extra, I'd like one too. Do ya have any pics?

-Ben

You need to feed it. I noticed my indoor capensis flower much less than my outdoor capensis untill I started really feeding them and then the flowers would not stop. Try that.

Its funny..  everyone is trying to give advice on how to make it flower..  personally if I had a D. capensis that would not flower, I would patent it, register it as a new cultivar, and then clone the heck outta it. A D. capensis that will not become a weed...  you could make a fortune from this...  the possibilities are endless..

I got mine back in March and its starting to flower... for the second time. The first time, I let it flower, and even though I was carefull somehow little fugitive sundews have appeared in some of my other pots. This time I'm hacking off the stalks.

It seems to me that a non-flowering capensis is the best thing ever.

like i have said before even poorly grown capensis will flower after a time or they will die. it doesnt take much at all to get them to flower. a capensis that HAS NOT FLOWERED PERIOD in 8 years is a very interesting individual indeed

*sitting waiting patiently for a non-flowering capensis to become availible*

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]*sitting waiting patiently for a non-flowering capensis to become availible*

I'll send you some seed-... ooh.. right.

here's a pic of one of the cape sundews
Picture10352.jpg

and one of my terrarium
Picture1035.jpg

nice terrarium. very nice. your plants most definatly are healthy. yah sure you dont have extras?
smile_n_32.gif
smile_n_32.gif

sorry rattler
what you see is what I got.
smile.gif

Back