What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Byblis Torture

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I hear ya! I will conquer B. liniflora! First it was the cobra lily and then it was U. sandersonii blue. After that it was U. alpina. And now it's B. liniflora & D. luscitanicum. One by one...

That's the spirit!!

Byblis liniflora gives tons of seeds. Germination rate is not terribly high but you still get more plants than you begin with. I have kept seeds dry for a month uncovered and when I soaked them with hot water there wasn't any purple pigment. Recently, I knocked over a container of seeds (also kept dry and uncovered). I forced to sweep them up and wash them so I decided I might as well use hot water to wash away the debris and then sow them. This time I see purple pigment. The whole cup of water turned purplish! The seeds are about 1-3 weeks old. Well, I am confused...very confused by the appearance or non-appearance of the pigment. But I know that soaking the seeds in water is necessary for the germination.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Well, I am confused...very confused by the appearance or non-appearance of the pigment

Yeah, that. The dew from live B. liniflora seem to always make the pigment come out of the seed. But whether I see purple pigment or not sort of seems to be a crapshoot.

I don't believe that soaking is neccessary for germination, however. Soaking aids the process of imbibition (taking in of water,) but on a damp media they should be able to imbibe anyway.

I'm still trying to figure this species out, I have to say! Where's the variables? Why dos ome people ger germination and others none? What's with the purple pigment? Is it actually an inhibitor? How will batman escape?

Find out in our next exciting issue.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Est @ Aug. 17 2006,2:26)]Soaking aids the process of imbibition (taking in of water,) but on a damp media they should be able to imbibe anyway.
Hehe, that's what I meant when I said soaking is necessary. 'Cos imbibition is necessary.
smile_m_32.gif

so basically make byblis tea and then pour over dirt.

sounds like a great New Age health drink.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Cindy @ Aug. 17 2006,7:06)]... 'Cos imbibition is necessary.
smile_m_32.gif
Now I have a good reason for imbibing more often. You guys say it's necessary!
smile_n_32.gif

ohnish, dear. ish neshesherri! they shed sho on na f'rums!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Now I have a good reason for imbibing more often. You guys say it's necessary!

Careful- you might sprout!

Wise guy.
smile_m_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]so basically make byblis tea and then pour over dirt.

I'd not advise that. You could end up burying seeds. B. liniflora seeds seem to like having light for germination. After soaking/treating these seeds, it'd be a good idea to drain the water off and maybe even let them dry off a bit so that they're managable.

Then we decant the seeds?

Okay, this morning, after a couple weeks of cold storage, I decided to try again. I was given two sets of seeds: "aged" & "fresh. I made up two 50 ml centrifuge tubes with 1:10 bleach solution and poured the seeds into each tube. Within minutes I saw stream of dye emanating from the cluster of floating seeds. Ah, this must be the purple pigment that I have been missing!

And for my next trick.... warm, moist, covered, media, by a window sill.
smile_k_ani_32.gif

>_> b

Go Jim, go!

Back