Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Byblis Torture

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jim,

At this point, if I was told to put the seeds in my mouth, stand on my head and spit them into the pots to ensure germination, I would give that a try!

Glenn

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Glenn @ Aug. 15 2006,11:21)]Jim,

At this point, if I was told to put the seeds in my mouth, stand on my head and spit them into the pots to ensure germination, I would give that a try!

Glenn
    I hear ya! I will conquer B. liniflora! First it was the cobra lily and then it was U. sandersonii blue. After that it was U. alpina. And now it's B. liniflora & D. luscitanicum. One by one...

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the seed est kindly sent me, hurrah!

1 seed out of 40 so far, but i have high hopes!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] ]1 seed out of 40 so far, but i have high hopes!
    Woo hoo! If I remember correctly, I had seeds germinating for quite a while after the first one germinated. So you should be able to look forward to more seedlings popping up.

Quote[/b] ]At this point, if I was told to put the seeds in my mouth, stand on my head and spit them into the pots to ensure germination, I would give that a try!
    Well, it seems like people I've sent seed to are getting germination with aged and fresh seed, treatment or no treatment. I'm dedicated to having you and Jim germinate some of these suckers! If the first round doesn't take then I'll send you more seeds.

I need to clear B. liniflora of the social stigma that floats around it. I'm working on getting some more germination myself!
    \(_o)/ ಠ_ಠ
    My Growlist
    NASC Website Come join in on the fun!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] ]I hear ya! I will conquer B. liniflora! First it was the cobra lily and then it was U. sandersonii blue. After that it was U. alpina. And now it's B. liniflora & D. luscitanicum. One by one...
    That's the spirit!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Byblis liniflora gives tons of seeds. Germination rate is not terribly high but you still get more plants than you begin with. I have kept seeds dry for a month uncovered and when I soaked them with hot water there wasn't any purple pigment. Recently, I knocked over a container of seeds (also kept dry and uncovered). I forced to sweep them up and wash them so I decided I might as well use hot water to wash away the debris and then sow them. This time I see purple pigment. The whole cup of water turned purplish! The seeds are about 1-3 weeks old. Well, I am confused...very confused by the appearance or non-appearance of the pigment. But I know that soaking the seeds in water is necessary for the germination.
    Cindy

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] ]Well, I am confused...very confused by the appearance or non-appearance of the pigment
    Yeah, that. The dew from live B. liniflora seem to always make the pigment come out of the seed. But whether I see purple pigment or not sort of seems to be a crapshoot.

I don't believe that soaking is neccessary for germination, however. Soaking aids the process of imbibition (taking in of water,) but on a damp media they should be able to imbibe anyway.

I'm still trying to figure this species out, I have to say! Where's the variables? Why dos ome people ger germination and others none? What's with the purple pigment? Is it actually an inhibitor? How will batman escape?

Find out in our next exciting issue.
    \(_o)/ ಠ_ಠ
    My Growlist
    NASC Website Come join in on the fun!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (Est @ Aug. 17 2006,2:26)]Soaking aids the process of imbibition (taking in of water,) but on a damp media they should be able to imbibe anyway.
    Hehe, that's what I meant when I said soaking is necessary. 'Cos imbibition is necessary.
    Cindy

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast