What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Byblis Torture

Cindy

Staff member
The Byblis liniflora plants tortured me by producing numerous flower buds which I cut away every two days. I get sticky, slimy dew on my fingers! :lol: Anyway, I wanted to see how tall they will grow if I remove every flower bud and preventing fruit formation. As tall as chopsticks!

byblischopsticksrs.jpg

The stem is kind of woody but the tentacles are still there!
byblisstemrs-1.jpg

Very cool Cindy! Do they really grow taller if you prevent them from producing seed? I have a flowering B. liniflora in one of my terrariums that flowers CONSTANTLY!

Since I decided to grow this plant, I've realized how amazing it really is. It has quickly become one of my favorite CPs
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Since I decided to grow this plant, I've realized how amazing it really is. It has quickly become one of my favorite CPs

Ditto, I'm scowering to find other species of this beautiful genera!

That's no torture... Let me show you torture. :snaps a pic:
Blin1.JPG

blin2.JPG

AAAH! Yours are just tall, mine are etiolated abominations. I'd love to finally sprout some seed, but there's always a mysterious disaster- somebody tosses the water my seeds were soaking in (UUUUUUG,) birds poop and tear apart the soil, nuclear explosion from my Mr. Fusion... The list goes on! And THIS is when you can compain about getting your hands sticky! See all of the buds in the 2nd shot? I need to pollinate and cut each one of those for my B. liniflora giveaway. Some day I hope to grow a plant I can be proud of- for now it's frankenbyblis!
smile_n_32.gif

And I have one lone seedling that has been in a state of limbo for a month! You guys make me sick!
biggrin.gif
laugh.gif

Dang Est, my plants are in bright shade the entire day and gets direct setting sunlight from 5pm till 7pm. A blast considering I am living at the equator. You need to up your light intensity.
smile_m_32.gif

EST how long does it take for seeds to sprout? the ones you kindly sent me are in perfect conditions and nothing!

I kinda feel sorry now that I'm getting Mitch's Byblis...anywho, I'm not an expert on Byblis, but I've heard from other growers that Bylis seeds can take weeks or even months to sprout. Ya just gotta be patient.

-Ben

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Dang Est, my plants are in bright shade the entire day and gets direct setting sunlight from 5pm till 7pm. A blast considering I am living at the equator. You need to up your light intensity.

I knew son after they sprouted that the light wouldn't be enough. These guys were a sort of experiment- how little light can these grow with. Too late to do anything about light intensity now anyway, I'd just scorch the entire plant and/or make the whole thing top heavy.

Like I said, I'm trying to sproud seed to give them a go outside, but something always gets in the way.

JLAP, my original aged seeds took a couple of weeks. I kept them nice n' warm; when it was sunny they were in the sun, when it wasn't sunny they were generally under a light. I gave suplemental light beyond the hours of daylight with a lamp. Anything I did shouldn't have sped things up too much. Good luck getting those buggers to sprout! Oh- and did you do any treatment on 'em? If you use pingman's method, you gotta make sure you aren't going to accidentally bleach-bomb your plants to death.
smile_n_32.gif

Oooooo....Est sent me some really nice seeds also! I soaked them for 12 hrs in warm - room temperature water and then sowed half in just peat and the other in 50/50 peat-perlite. After leaving them alone for a week by a sunny windowsill, I have 2 that sprouted in peat and 3 that sprouted in the mix so far.

nope. no treatment, i will next time though
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]nope. no treatment, i will next time though
biggrin.gif

Shouldn't be a problem. At most it should only extend the time it takes to germinate. It's suspected that soaking the seeds helps remove inhibitors. The seeds are mildly hydrophobic to begin with, so soaking helps the plants imbibe and helps to remove inhibitors- both critical steps to germination. If you keep your seeds nice n' damp, they should imbibe on their own soon enough.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Drosera36 @ Aug. 09 2006,7:33)]I kinda feel sorry now that I'm getting Mitch's Byblis...anywho, I'm not an expert on Byblis, but I've heard from other growers that Bylis seeds can take weeks or even months to sprout.  Ya just gotta be patient.

-Ben
Aw, don't feel bad Ben. I know you'll give him a good home!

When I saw the title of this topic I thought it would be about getting the seeds to germinate! I have been totured by non germination on every attempt to grow this plant. Its on the verge of going on my list of plants I just can't grow.

I feel your pain Jim!

Glenn

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]When I saw the title of this topic I thought it would be about getting the seeds to germinate! I have been totured by non germination on every attempt to grow this plant. Its on the verge of going on my list of plants I just can't grow.

Psst! :shifty eyes: If you're lookin' for seed to try again, shoot me a PM. I just send Jim some (or, will have sent him some an hour from now) which he can hopefully get to germinate (I've done my best to ensure it!) Hope to hear from ya. :/shifty eyes:

According to the book called, CP's of the World, B. liniflora seeds should placed in cold storage for 2 months before attempted germination. He mentions nothing about purple pigment or 10% bleach solution. Whaddya think?

Jim,

At this point, if I was told to put the seeds in my mouth, stand on my head and spit them into the pots to ensure germination, I would give that a try!

Glenn

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Glenn @ Aug. 15 2006,11:21)]Jim,

At this point, if I was told to put the seeds in my mouth, stand on my head and spit them into the pots to ensure germination, I would give that a try!

Glenn
I hear ya! I will conquer B. liniflora! First it was the cobra lily and then it was U. sandersonii blue. After that it was U. alpina. And now it's B. liniflora & D. luscitanicum. One by one...

the seed est kindly sent me, hurrah!

1 seed out of 40 so far, but i have high hopes!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]1 seed out of 40 so far, but i have high hopes!

Woo hoo! If I remember correctly, I had seeds germinating for quite a while after the first one germinated. So you should be able to look forward to more seedlings popping up.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]At this point, if I was told to put the seeds in my mouth, stand on my head and spit them into the pots to ensure germination, I would give that a try!

Well, it seems like people I've sent seed to are getting germination with aged and fresh seed, treatment or no treatment. I'm dedicated to having you and Jim germinate some of these suckers! If the first round doesn't take then I'll send you more seeds.

I need to clear B. liniflora of the social stigma that floats around it.
laugh.gif
I'm working on getting some more germination myself!

Back