What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dry sundew

Hey folks, I have a problem with one of my sundews, a D. spatulata I think. It was in horrible condition when I got it a month or so ago, but I replanted it and it seemed to recover. The only problem is that this plant has never produced dew. Its been growing fairly vigorously and is even sending up flower stalks, but the leaves are bone dry. I originally thought that it was a fungus that causes the leaves to turn red and stop producing dew because I read somewhere that D. spatulata is prone to that type of fungus. However a more experienced grower suggested that it might not be fungus. What do you guys think?

Here's a pic

-CB

The leaves look like they're being constantly or repeatedly dosed with high-mineral water.

See how the tentacles are all folded in and many of the leaves are even folded over on themselves. Usually this indicates a response to nutrients or high mineral levels in water contacting the leaves.

Try keeping the media moist/wet and keeping the leaves dry, avoid getting any water on them, period. See if the new leaves, just now developing, begin to produce dew from leaves untouched by water.

I think your plant is D. aliciae, or something related to it. Its leaves are too elongated to be D. spatulata, unless it's the 'Frasier Island' form.

-Ben

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I think your plant is D. aliciae, or something related to it. Its leaves are too elongated to be D. spatulata, unless it's the 'Frasier Island' form.

That could be, to my untrained eye they look the same.

It looks like D.spatulata Fraser Island to me.

Back