What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

rejoice, and sing!

I AM SO HAPPY!
so, here is what happened, I was on vacation and people were taking care of my cps. But, there was a week of really super hot days and my cape sundew turned black
but just yesterday when I got back I saw that they had moved it inside and there was new growth emerging from the stem
yay!!!

Is it dead yet...
image01qm9.jpg

NO not yet....
image21zh2.jpg

one of these days I'll kill this thing....

Chris

lol actually, speaking from personal experiance i think there are exactly 3 ways to kill a capensis, with any other way you might kill an individual plant but if yah tried a number of them one would live.

#1. extended hard freeze below 0 degrees, several days should do the trick, they can take a light freeze over night(above 0) though will just kill leaves and it will come back from the roots or stems

#2. extended dry period. from personal experiance dry, and i mean bone dry, for somewhere over a week. at one week bone dry, they will still come back from the roots.

#3 extended period in poor light, will take several months to kill but it will EVENTUALLY do it, if any green is still present on the plant it will survive if brought out to better light.

anything else such as less than ideal soil conditions i think yah can prolly get one to adapt to it be it straight cow manure or limestone, if yah try hard enough one will prolly adapt

thats my opinion and im sticking to it.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (rattler_mt @ Aug. 15 2006,5:50)]lol actually, speaking from personal experiance i think there are exactly 3 ways to kill a capensis, with any other way you might kill an individual plant but if yah tried a number of them one would live.

#1. extended hard freeze below 0 degrees, several days should do the trick, they can take a light freeze over night(above 0) though will just kill leaves and it will come back from the roots or stems

#2. extended dry period. from personal experiance dry, and i mean bone dry, for somewhere over a week. at one week bone dry, they will still come back from the roots.

#3 extended period in poor light, will take several months to kill but it will EVENTUALLY do it, if any green is still present on the plant it will survive if brought out to better light.

anything else such as less than ideal soil conditions i think yah can prolly get one to adapt to it be it straight cow manure or limestone, if yah try hard enough one will prolly adapt

thats my opinion and im sticking to it.
to add to number three or make this number 4 is to have a plastic bag over it with no holes in an undrained pot...rot from above and below! thats how i killed my first one...
Alex

lol i dont count that stuff. lack of air circulation is a newbie mistake(i made it several times in the begining) my 3 can happen to anyone, experianced or not, it just takes a lapse in memory, forget the plant on the step outside can account for 1 &2, 3 would have to be on purpose as they will survive for years in just poor light, by #3 i ment close to total absence

How about pouring gasoline on it and lighting a match?
smile_m_32.gif

you bored Jim? actually, depending on how deep the roots go it might survive. wouldnt that be an interesting experiment?

Yes... that would! Actually, I'm rather fond of the species. It makes for excellent "newbie packages". They're really a nice plant - just a little too successful - not unlike U. subulata and dandelions!

From what I understand, you can kill a capensis simply by bringing it to Singapore. That's what they say, anyway.
smile.gif

Capslock

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jimscott @ Aug. 15 2006,8:15)]How about pouring gasoline on it and lighting a match?
smile_m_32.gif
wow
smile_n_32.gif
smile_n_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]From what I understand, you can kill a capensis simply by bringing it to Singapore. That's what they say, anyway.

Bringing foreign live plant material through an airport I'd be more worried about [my life than that of the capensis.
smile_m_32.gif

haha
when I posted first message about it turning black, they did not water it for about a week, so it was bone dry
I dont know how it survived, but now I moved it to an east facing window and it is getting water
yay!

Back