What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Miracle...sort of

A while ago I had a B. liniflora and it was a very healthy plant and it produced some seeds which I saved and of course since it's an annual it's bound to die. Fast forward a few months, I finally plant my seeds and in just a few days I have 8 Byblis seedlings
smile.gif
. I wish I had a camera, it doesn't seem fun to share the experience with words
smile_o_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]and of course since it's an annual it's bound to die

Actually, can be grown as a perennial in cultivation.

Glad to hear that your seed germinated though! See folks- B. liniflora = your FRIEND!

It's ok, I happen to know there's a few other members on this forum who've gotten germination recently. I'm counting on some more people being in your shoes soon enough.
smile_m_32.gif
Congrats! I love Byblis.

Est, how to you grow Byblis as a perennial? Do you remove the buds? And does it work to cut off the top of the plant if it's growing too tall to get offshoots? Oh, and that's awesome, PiranhaPlant!

-Ben

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Est, how to you grow Byblis as a perennial? Do you remove the buds? And does it work to cut off the top of the plant if it's growing too tall to get offshoots? Oh, and that's awesome, PiranhaPlant!

If you keep conditions constant, then they shouldn't die. So, if you're growing them indoors or something, you may be able to grow 'em for a couple of years. As is shown in another topic, snipping buds may aid growth. However, if you don't snip the buds, then you get a bunch of seed and can have even more plants... I'm not sure if B. liniflora will make offshoots should you snip the apical meristem. I'm going to try to do so soon, because I've got some that're far too tall/gangly.

Back