What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How closely related are Petiolaris to Pigmy dews?

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
Whenever there are ID pics of the two, and the size perspective isn't obvious, to me the the leaves and traps look very similar. Whaddya think?

Compliments of Bob Z (a few threads lower) and Fernando & friends: Phylogeny of Sundews

I don't really know many pygmy names but they appear to be pretty close...

I perused the site - twice - but they only mentioned D. pygmaea and didn't discuss Petiolaris Complex plants at all. Maybe I missed something?

Hey Jim,

My phylogeny work suggests that petiolaris-complex & pygmies are sister groups. They sure do look like they're related, don't you agree??
smile.gif
:)

Best Wishes,
Fernando Rivadavia

They certainly do! And when someone posts a picture of just the plant, without size perspective, a Petiolaris plant has that leaf and cup shape of a pigmy. I wondew why the pigmy dews produce gemmae whereas the Petiolaris do not.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jimscott @ Aug. 17 2006,8:25)]I perused the site - twice - but they only mentioned D. pygmaea and didn't discuss Petiolaris Complex plants at all. Maybe I missed something?
Jim,
Yup. About 1/3rd of the way down the page, there are 2 diagrams on the left side. Click on the lower one to get a larger version ... If it's not large enough to read, you can 'stretch' the frame & make it larger (at least in my browser).

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jimscott @ Aug. 18 2006,6:48)]I wonder why the pigmy dews produce gemmae whereas the Petiolaris do not.
'Cause they gots no reason to.
smile_n_32.gif
They clearly are different, and evolved differently.

-Ben

Back