What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tuberous Drosera

glider14

Always a newbie
i got a bunch of D. peltata seeds stratifying as we speak. i was wondering if my conditions wer ok for growing tuberous drosera in a terrarium....once they germinate they will go into my 29 gallon terrarium. it has 2 3ft flourescent bulbs on top of it. it will be on a winter photo period of 12-13 hours. the maximum temperature it gets is 80 and minimum can(and probably will get to) high 60's. humidity is 70-80%.
Alex

i don't know anything about these plants, so i wont say if your conditions are correct, but if you can recreate the conditions they require i don't see why not. a tall terrarium would look great.

i know that...but the thing is i dont know the perfect conditions for them all i know is cool but not freezing witer and reduced photo period.
Alex

Not a good plan and here is why. In habitat this species is a cool to cold grower and they need LOTS of light to prosper and form the new corm required for next seasons growth. Here in upstate NY I have difficulty giving them enough full sun to effect this. Most terrarium growers use flourescents, and even this light is further cut back by the glass. Temps are typically higher in terrarium culture as well. These are really outdoor plants, although you have the best (slim) chance with this member of the group.

alright...man im gonna have a difficult time with this. the only places in my house that gets enough light is my brothers room....but it is also the hottest room in the house... ill try with terrarium...
alex

EDIT: oh yea for got to mention... i modified the lights so now the temps are a steady 70*. they are in a tall pot so will probably get the most light out of any of my plants in there.

Just wondering why you are stratifying the seeds? They don't require stratification.

As William has said, they will struggle in a highly humid, warm, low light environment.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Seandew @ Aug. 28 2006,8:24)]Just wondering why you are stratifying the seeds? They don't require stratification.

As William has said, they will struggle in a highly humid, warm, low light environment.
D. peltata doesnt require a hot dry summer stratification(not cold strat.)? well sheesh!! how else does anyone grow theirs with one of the cold snowy winters? windowsill?
Alex

I can only comment on my situation (which is also the natural habitat of various D. peltata forms).

While the seeds will experience a dry hot period in summer, they do not need such conditions to germinate well. Cool, damp conditions are all that are required. Mine grow in my glasshouse as well as many of the pots of other genera that grow outside in full sun throughout the year. The seed always germinates at the end of fall when the temps begin to drop at night.

Sean, I recently received seeds of D. peltata, stolonifera, and auriculata. Could I attempt germination now or ought I wait until fall? Is GA3 a necessity?

I always sow my tuberous Drosera seed at the end of the seco9nd month of Summer. This way they have a chance to sit on the damp soil which removes a portion of the seed coat inhibitor. As soon as the cool weather arrives they are ready to germinate.

The seed of D. peltata & auriculata do not need any pre-treatment. I have found the seed of D. stolonifera ssp. stolonifera to be a little difficult to germinate without some help. The use of GA3 for these is definitely beneficial. Interestingly, I have found that the seed of its close relative D. stolonifera ssp. rupicola does not need any pre-treatment and germinates in large numbers without help.

Thank you for the guidance!
smile.gif

Where can I get some GA3? I have some D. stolonifera seeds coming, hopefuly, if I remain high bidder on fleabay for them. They will be coming from Australia and suposedly fresh seed. I also have auriculata, peltata and gigantea coming provided I win them all. The only one garenteed so far is peltata. Since I haven't had them planted by the second week in summer should I treat them with anything? I would like to get them growing and will plant them as soon as I recieve them. Thanks for any info.

No pretreatment is required for the D. peltata or auriculata. Sow them as soon as you receive them. Can't help with the GA3 unfortunately, I have a CP growing friend who supplies me with a fresh premixed solution of it whenever I require..

JB if Sean says GA3 helps, you go with that. It didn't help in my case, but my experience is limited. Thanks much for the input Sean!

Back