Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tuberous Drosera

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i got a bunch of D. peltata seeds stratifying as we speak. i was wondering if my conditions wer ok for growing tuberous drosera in a terrarium....once they germinate they will go into my 29 gallon terrarium. it has 2 3ft flourescent bulbs on top of it. it will be on a winter photo period of 12-13 hours. the maximum temperature it gets is 80 and minimum can(and probably will get to) high 60's. humidity is 70-80%.
    Alex
    Everything is explainable. The seemingly unexplainable is but a result of our insufficient knowledge.- Hans Brewer

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i don't know anything about these plants, so i wont say if your conditions are correct, but if you can recreate the conditions they require i don't see why not. a tall terrarium would look great.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i know that...but the thing is i dont know the perfect conditions for them all i know is cool but not freezing witer and reduced photo period.
    Alex
    Everything is explainable. The seemingly unexplainable is but a result of our insufficient knowledge.- Hans Brewer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not a good plan and here is why. In habitat this species is a cool to cold grower and they need LOTS of light to prosper and form the new corm required for next seasons growth. Here in upstate NY I have difficulty giving them enough full sun to effect this. Most terrarium growers use flourescents, and even this light is further cut back by the glass. Temps are typically higher in terrarium culture as well. These are really outdoor plants, although you have the best (slim) chance with this member of the group.
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    alright...man im gonna have a difficult time with this. the only places in my house that gets enough light is my brothers room....but it is also the hottest room in the house... ill try with terrarium...
    alex

EDIT: oh yea for got to mention... i modified the lights so now the temps are a steady 70*. they are in a tall pot so will probably get the most light out of any of my plants in there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just wondering why you are stratifying the seeds? They don't require stratification.

As William has said, they will struggle in a highly humid, warm, low light environment.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Seandew @ Aug. 28 2006,8:24)]Just wondering why you are stratifying the seeds? They don't require stratification.

As William has said, they will struggle in a highly humid, warm, low light environment.
    D. peltata doesnt require a hot dry summer stratification(not cold strat.)? well sheesh!! how else does anyone grow theirs with one of the cold snowy winters? windowsill?
    Alex

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can only comment on my situation (which is also the natural habitat of various D. peltata forms).

While the seeds will experience a dry hot period in summer, they do not need such conditions to germinate well. Cool, damp conditions are all that are required. Mine grow in my glasshouse as well as many of the pots of other genera that grow outside in full sun throughout the year. The seed always germinates at the end of fall when the temps begin to drop at night.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast