What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wolly Sundews

Hi every I was just try to found out, how many species there are that belong to the woolly sundew group. Can anyone give a list on how many there are. I also heard that D.Indica belong to this group, too.

Ron posted this list on another recent thread.

Drosera broomensis
Drosera brevicornis
Drosera caduca
Drosera derbyensis
Drosera darwinensis
Drosera dilatato-petiolaris
Drosera falconeri
Drosera fulva
Drosera kenneallyi
Drosera lanata
Drosera ordensis
Drosera paradoxa
Drosera petiolaris

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Red G @ Aug. 24 2006,3:34)]I also heard that D.Indica belong to this group, too.
D. indica is an annual that grows with the petiolaris complex plants in many locations but has a larger range - extending south.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (RL7836 @ Aug. 24 2006,5:13)]D. indica is an annual that grows with the petiolaris complex plants in many locations but has a larger range - extending south.
And north. It is found on the Asian continent as well
smile.gif

hmm whats the one that looks like a tuberous drosera?

And what about D.neocaledonica?

At first It was described as a wolly sundew, but I didn't hear some fresh news about it.
May someone tell me the truth?
smilie4.gif

I gather that D. subtilis and D. banksii are also related to the petiolaris group.

D. banksii is what i was thinking about! thanks!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Rob-Rah @ Sep. 03 2006,6:46)]I gather that D. subtilis and D. banksii are also related to the petiolaris group.
Neither of these, nor D. indica are related to plants in the Petiolaris complex. They are all annuals and overlap geographic ranges of some plants in the Petiolaris complex but that doesn't mean they are related ....
301.gif

After looking in Lowrie vol III, I'm curious what made you think these 3 plants were related to / or in the Petiolaris complex? None of them appear to have much if any resemblance to petios....

oh i did not know that about D. banksii

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Rob-Rah @ Sep. 03 2006,6:46)]I gather that D. subtilis and D. banksii are also related to the petiolaris group.
Neither of these nor D. indica are related to plants in the Petiolaris complex. They are all annuals and overlap geographic ranges of some plants in the Petiolaris complex but that doesn't mean they are related ....
301.gif

I was told on a thread quite a while back on the CPUK forum that D. banksii was part of the petiolaris group by someone whose knowledge is usually good. Not sure what his source was for this though, and I suppose scientific wisdom may have changed its mind in the last year and a half:

http://www.cpukforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8552
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]It has only recently been identified as an erect member of the petiolaris-complex.

Cheers.

In his key and in his CP database, Jan Schlauer lists D. banksii as a member of Section Lasiocephala, along with the other "petiolaris complex" species. D. subtilis is grouped off in Section Ergaleium.

SCHLAUER, J. 1996. A dichotomous key to the genus Drosera L. (Drosera-
ceae). Carnivorous Plant Newsletter 25: 67–88.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]D. subtilis is grouped off in Section Ergaleium.

Thanks for digging out that ref Forbes. Found a version on wikipedia now too:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Drosera_species

That's very interesting: so D. subtilis is grouped with some of the tuberous spp - despite looking similar to D. banksii, and almost nothing like most of the rest of the group it's in. I see it also shares that group with D. ramentacea - which is sort of resembles in a way.

Cheers.

Wow! Very different information from what I'd previously read.
317.gif
(Serves me right for not digging at least a little bit!)
actions1.gif

Obviously there must be some justification for this placement. Anyone have any ideas where that piece of literature might be?
118.gif
... or even better a somewhat simplified translation of the rationale used .... ?

Hi guys!

The first important clue that D.banksii belonged with the petiolaris group (and D.neocaledonica NOT) was Takahashi & Sohma's pollen morphology work. Then Kondo added further weight with his chromosome counts (and morphology too). As for D.subtilis, nobody really knows what it's closest to.... yet.

Best Wishes,
Fernando Rivadavia

Back