What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. capensis 'Red' from the dead

elgecko

I've got a magic window!
Here is a picture of my D. capensis 'Red' from last year after germinating some seeds. This was the reddest of the ones that germinated.
I grew the plant outside in full sun until fall, when it came inside to sit on the windowsill.
The plant does not get as much sunlight there, and over time, lost it's red coloration. (That's why I do not have a nice picture of this plant bigger)

Dcaperedsmall.jpg

After procrastinating some time this spring I finally placed the plant outside so it would color up again for me.
I did this the same way I do all my plants when going form inside to outside by gradually getting them used to full sun over a few weeks.
The plant was responding very poorly. I finally brought it back inside and it continued to decline until it was dead.
I placed the pot back outside where it has been close to 2.5 months now. I had thought about trashing the contents and reusing the pot.
Well I noticed today that I have been rewarded for not discarding the plant. Here’s what I have growing from the dead.

dcapered.jpg

I hope that by fall it gets a nice size and red before I have to move it back inside. I can hopefully get a nice picture of this plant.

I have had the same experience on another sundew as well. So hold on to the pots a few weeks longer that what you originally wanted, and maybe you will be rewarded as well.

What the!!!
smile_k_ani_32.gif
smile_k_ani_32.gif

What is that title?
confused.gif
??

It said "D. capensis 'Red', back from the dead"

What the heck?
confused.gif
?
confused.gif

I can not seem to fix it.

Nice Elgecko.

I've had a few instances similar to that, where I've come really close to throwing away a "dead" plant, and then out of nowhere I'll see some green.

EDIT: Dang, that is really odd Elgecko. I wonder why the title changed to that...?

Very cool! I've had my aliciae do likewise and I'm dealing with 4 new growth points.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] Dang, that is really odd Elgecko. I wonder why the title changed to that...?

Try missing an "s" from capensis. A Mod should be able to help you out. I think.

because, he missed an "s" in capensis as in c-a-P-E-N-I-S word filter caught it..............very common mistake

ROFLMAS

i dont get the word filter........................the term is a biological one. really torques me off that it wont let me use the term "nice guy" as im refering to one of my plants, generally U. tricolor nearly 100% of the time and am not directing it twords anyone plus i dont really consider it a curse word...............im going to have to invent new words to insult my "darn" plants, this just aint right
confused.gif

freaking word filter sucks capensis

[b said:
Quote[/b] (rattler_mt @ Aug. 29 2006,9:10)]i dont get the word filter........................the term is a biological one. really torques me off that it wont let me use the term "nice guy" as im refering to one of my plants, generally U. tricolor nearly 100% of the time and am not directing it twords anyone plus i dont really consider it a curse word...............im going to have to invent new words to insult my "darn" plants, this just aint right
confused.gif

freaking word filter sucks capensis
me either.... i was refering to a tree called a p-u-s-s-y willow and it said "female reprodictive organ willow" i thought it was one of the funniest things ive ever seen!
Alex

Topic fixed. :0) Now you all.. stop that filter bypassing... hehehe
smile_k_ani_32.gif

Andrew

Adnedarn, you really are a nice guy.

smile_m_32.gif

mad.gif
ghostface.gif

I have seen Dr. capensis doing that many times, that's how mine did survive frost when they where outside during winter, the darn thing are even flowering right now... gues I'll have a capensis plague in my cp bog.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (adnedarn @ Aug. 29 2006,8:57)]Topic fixed. :0) Now you all.. stop that filter bypassing... hehehe
smile_k_ani_32.gif

Andrew
what did we say? we were discussing a widely, publicly accepted name for a bush and the proper biologic/anatomy term for a part of the male anatomy.......................cant see a problem.

im with EST you REALLY are a nice guy Andrew

smile_n_32.gif
smile_m_32.gif

And the saga continues.... Pus sy Willow is the name of a plant- congrats on that.... The word filter doesn't know that. It sees the first word and fixes it... It protects more than the very few instances that it is used correctly here and gets "corrected"
As far as the other... Yup- it is the correct name for a part of the human anatomy- But what does it have to do with carnivorous plants? Why would that word need to be used here? Like I said- the filter is here to help more than not- although it interrupts a few times... Get over it and move on.
smile.gif
There are plenty of other forums you can go drop words like that (and better!!) all over the place with no worry of a filter of any kind catching it.
Have a nice day nice guys!!
smile_l_32.gif
smile_n_32.gif

Andrew

Oh and I like the addition to your signature rattler_mt.... funny funny funny.... :-|

lol thank you, it came to me after only a couple hours sleep followed by 14 hours at the office staring at the computer screen and dealing with some waco ppl. i thought it was funny! its going to stay till i find something else that i find either more politically incorrect or funny
smile_n_32.gif

been complaining bout the word filter for bout 3 years now. dont expect it to change. just find it funny but occationally irritating. especially when venting my frustrations over U. tricolor

so do i get one of those square thingies yet?
smile_n_32.gif

Yah- i know you been yappen about it for a while.... Expect it to change?? nah- the word filter will stay there just like the phrase you think is funny in your signature.
biggrin.gif
Square thingie?? uhhh no. keep trying. Maybe one day you'll get one... I've got a new signature too.
confused.gif
lol

well your just no fun.....................................

oh and one more thing on the bottom line of my sig.............. its going to make no sence once everyone forgets this thread
smile_n_32.gif

Back