What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. capensis

JB_OrchidGuy

Cardiac Nurse
How big should these guys be and how long for them to get there? I have many capensis and they seem to be rather small. Short leaves only a few inches long and the entire plant is only about 3inches tll or so. I have some in a mini bog outside and some inthe GH and they are all this size. I have an albino flowering now outside in full sun. The reason I am asking this is because I just saw a picture of a capeneis and it looks HUGE compaired to my seed grown plants. Is it because I keep them sitting in water? Or do they take some time to get large? I have them growing in 3 inch pots with 2 or 3 plants each, but the ones in the minibog are solitary plants and in full sun with the sarrs and they are relitively the same size. The only different is the leaves are thicker. They are close to a year or little over a year old. Only one has flowered so far and thats an albino. Thanks I will try to take pictures to ad to this soon.

about 4-6 inches across. the giant form can get larger. plants grown from seed take longer to reach maturity.

Clint those that I sent you are the size of mine too. So you know about how big they are. Those were grown from seed. So they will get bigger?

they will but it takes time. they grow fast but not that fast
smile.gif

i dunno how long it takes them to grow to maturity, i usually just forget about them untill winter
cool.gif

When grown in strong sunlight, D.capensis will stay very compact. I once took a D.capensis that was 6 inches across ( it had been grown under artificial light) and moved it outside. Soon it shrunk to 3 inches across, even though the the dewy part was about the same length. Usually, D.capensis stays around 4 inches in diameter if grown in full sun. The less it gets the larger the diameter of the plant.
dewy

Do they need a dormency? I wasn't planning on one for the ones in the GH and the ones outside were just going to stay there. If they came back they came back. Hmm.

they don't need one. if they go through winter they may return from the thick, wirery roots.

Good deal then I don;t need to worry about my dew that will be staying in the GH. Is there a list of dews that need dormancy?

Oh and I think I killed the tall treelike dews you sent me. I have one laying on its side like you told me and so far nothing. The one in the terrerium out in the GH looks the best of them all, but its basicly just a green stalk. I will lay it on its side tomorrow. Everything else is doing good. The falconari is growing from a new growthpoint. Looks kinda funny, but I am afraid to mess with it yet. LOL Its growing. I may need to up the light a little though. The new leaves just have a hint of red on them. THey are not deep red like the older leaves. Do they take time to color up?

Likely won't come back, if they get too much cold too long

as has been said elsewhere before, I do believe pot depth/size may be affecting them, too.
I have a bunch in different pots, all from the same seeds and all sown at the same time in the same conditions and the ones in the big pots are 8" across whereas I have a bunch in a 4" pot and they are all maybe 3" across if that

I doubt watering is inhibiting them, they seem to take whatever pretty well

And for reference, I sowed all my current specimens last winter (january maybe february), and the big guys were HUGE by mid summer

ok Thanks Mabudon. I will repot some in larger pots and hopefully get some size to some of them. I just thoguht it was strange because the ones in the minibog are the same size as the ones in the GH just thinker leaves from full sun, but size is the same, and they have PLENTY of room to grow roots. In fact the capilaris that are out in full sun and flowering have smaller leaves than the ones in the GH.

They're a really excellent window sill plant. I was given a seedling in the spring of 2004 and by next summer it sent up its first flower stalk.

Aside from pigmy sundews that are supposed to have a dry, hot summer thing, the sundews that I am aware of, requiring dormancy are: binata, filiformis, intermedia, rotundifolia, and I think - capillaris.

binata doesnt requier a dormancy... like capensis it will come back from its roots if it has these cold conditions.
Alex

D. binata does actually require a dormancy, it depends on the type. D. binata, or D. binata 'T-form' does need a dormancy. The others do not. D. binata will form a hibernaculum if exposed to temps under 50 degrees.

-Ben

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Drosera36 @ Sep. 02 2006,1:12)]D. binata does actually require a dormancy, it depends on the type.  D. binata, or D. binata 'T-form' does need a dormancy.  The others do not.  D. binata will form a hibernaculum if exposed to temps under 50 degrees.

-Ben
require? tell that to mine.

Mine disappear from the surface and then greenery pops up in late winter. Call it what ya want, but it does die back to nothing for the winter. But capensis stays the same, 365.

Back