What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. madagascariensis

Hello eveybody!

I just got a D. Madagascariensis and I was wondering how to grow it? How big it gets? How much light it needs? If it needs a winter dormancy? And if I can somehow prevent it from growing really tall and leggy?

Stick it in the usual mix in a tray of water. I grow mine in full sun during the warm months. They grow tall, but I've seen them droop over a pot and grow upwards while drooping more as they grow like a vine. I've seen them 2 feet tall, but after about 8 inches cut them down because really tall ones get lanky and fall over.

Very easy plant to grow.

As easy to grow as D. capensis. If they get too tall, you can cut them back as far as you want, and they will either grow back from the stem or roots. You can also plant the top you cut off. No dormancy.

-Ben

I keep them on the window sill all year long, room temp for the cold months and 90's in the attic for the summer. The mature plants die back but new plants emerge from the roots. They are bombproof.

Dang bomb proof? I just killed 3 of the dang things. And couldn't get them to come back from a stem cutting either. Anywho they sound easy, but mine just kealed over.

Back