What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera dielsiana

Does anybody know how to grow D. dilesina? does it need a winter dormancy? Any special requirements? Please post.

I assume you mean Drosera dielsiana (and you may wish to note that the first name of the binomial, the genus, is always capitalized, and the second part, the species, never is
smile_m_32.gif

This is an easy, weedy, subtropical with a wide range in South Africa - hence it is quite variable. I've grown many examples of this species and found most to be willing growers. There is no predetermined dormancy, but like all the other South African species the plant will cease growing if conditions become too hot or dry, returning to active growth when conditions improve. It is undemanding as to humidity, and like most Drosera species does best outside in humidity above 30 percent. It also thrives indoors under lights, flowering freely and self-seeding. A word of caution regarding the sharing of this seed: this species shares a common karyotype with many other South African droserae and is quite capable of hybridizing within a collection if any other of these species are in flower at the same time. Recipients of this seed should always check back with their source when the plants grown from it mature. This scenario may also explain the wide phenotypical difference in cultivated plants amongst growers. The plant was named in honor of Diels, author of the monograph of the genus at the turn of the 19th century.

I can get the plant to flower, but two batches fo seeds in an enclesd, moist container, by a window sill, have failed to germinate. Anything unusual about theire germination process that I need to know?

Scott, i didn't have any issues germinating this one from seed i got from ICPS seedbank. It grew fairly fast and i have mature flowering plants in 6 months. I did the usual sowing method and the seeds germinated in about 2 weeks.
Peter.:cool:

Here is a pic of the D. dielsiana i grew from seed mentioned above.
img0153ma4.jpg

Enjoy!
Peter
cool.gif

No problems germinating the seed, that's for sure! This is a weed in most collections.

Peter, now THAT is what I picture when I think of a D. dielsiana. Nice plant!

Back