Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Drosophyllum seed

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you have any tips for me, since I want to become a physician? Will my mediocre passing math skills hinder me even though I'm advanced in science and chemistry?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]Do you have any tips for me, since I want to become a physician? Will my mediocre passing math skills hinder me even though I'm advanced in science and chemistry?
    Feel free to PM me if you want. Here's some quick tips:

1. You need to do well in college. While there are exceptions to every rule, the average accepted med school student has a GPA of 3.6-3.7 (A-). The best way to accomplish this is by majoring in something that you LIKE--not something that you think would be impressive to the admissions committee. Only 1/2 of my class is composed of science majors. Make use of the professors--they are being paid to teach you so take advantage. They will also be writing your letters of recommendation. And most of them WANT to teach you--you won't get the same luxury in graduate/med school, where a good percentage of the faculty are forced to teach and consider students a nuisance. You may want to go to a college that does NOT have a graduate school--the faculty there will spend most of the time teaching (instead of doing research and having their TA's teach you).

2. You need to do well on the MCAT which you should take in your junior or senior year of college (standardized test). The core science curriculum that med schools require of all applicants should prepare you well. You may want to take courses in anatomy, physiology, and cell biology. Test prep classes can be very helpful as well.

3. You need to demonstrate maturity and dedication to a cause. Most people do volunteer service, some do research, others take leadership roles in organizations. I suggest you pick an activity that thrills you, and do the most/be the best you can be in whatever that is. Don't do 20 activities to fill up your resume. Do pick a few activities and fill your resume with meaninful and deep accomplishments.

4. The average age of acceptance to med school is around 26. Only 20% of my class came directly out of college. The rest took time off to gain extra experiences, or decided to become a physician after being in another career. So don't be disappointed if you don't get right out of college.

5. Most importantly, find the time to have fun and stay in touch with family and friends. This shouldn't be hard if you major in something that truely interests you, because studying won't take as long and will be enjoyable. And you need to be happy to do well in your personal and professional life.

6. *Being weak in math won't hurt you at all, as long as you're proficient enough to do the math needed for chemistry and basic physics. Most med schools have no requirement for completion of math courses. I took calculus I & II to help with physics. Also, if you did great in high school that's great, if you did poorly, doesn't matter. No med school will ask you about your high school grades--so starting college gives you a clean slate.....use it wisely.

Ultimately, being articulate, self-motivated, professional, intelligent, and a team player/empathic to the needs of others are the keys to success in almost any career. If you develop these traits and put them into practice, you'll be successful in your personal and professional life.

....Oh, and if you're planning on applying soon, consider applying to an MD/PhD Program. It takes 7-8 years (instead of the typical 4 years of med school) but has many perks: 1) you can do meaningful, cutting-edge research in whatever it is that interests you, 2) you get two advanced degrees which puts you at a significant advantage over your other med school students when it comes time to applying to residency, and gives you wider career options (clinical, research, consulting, management, combination of these), and best of all 3) they PAY YOU to go to med school. That's right, you can get a PhD and MD......and come out WITH money, instead of paying hefty tuition fees. There's a big demand for people that can bridge the gap between basic science and clinical medicine--you can write your own ticket to almost anywhere with this dual degree. You should strongly consider it....but that's my biased opinion.

That's about it.....I think I've sufficiently destroyed the original purpose of my own thread!

Secretary, New England Carnivorous Plant Society (NECPS) http://www.necps.org/
    Member, International Carnivorous Plant Society (ICPS)
    Member, North American Sarracenia Conservancy (NASC)
    Member, The Carnivorous Plant Society (CPS)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh man you have really put my mind to rest! As far as volunteer work goes, to it matter what I do? What should I do?

Man thank you so much!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    whoahhh, no offense, and I dunno why, but JustLikeAPill, I thought you were a girl and about 30

whoops!
    Z polski y dumny
    Prayer - how to do nothing and still think you're helping.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F5aCUNE4Z8
    ^^^Newest vid

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nope. I'm 16 and a guy.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12