Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drosophyllum seed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi all,

Finally, I found a method for germinating Drosophyllum lusitanicum seed under my growing conditions. Previously, I tried scarifying the seed, soaking in 500ppm GA3 for 24h, and placing them in a tube of distilled water (changed daily). I also tried scarifying them, soaking in 500ppm GA3 for 24h, and sowing them onto moist perlite. Both methods failed under my conditions.

Most recently, the seed I sowed were approximately 2 years old, and kept dry in the fridge before sowing (from the same batch as the prior attempts). I scarified the seed lightly with a filer until its white endosperm was just visible. The seed were then soaked in 500ppm GA3 for 24h, then sowed onto fine vermiculite. The pots were placed in a tray and sat in 1/4" water. The tray was covered with clear plastic wrap (with air holes) and placed onto a heat mat set to "medium." The tray was placed 3" under 160W cool white fluorescent tubes (15h photoperiod). Ambient humidity=100%, temperature= 80F/60F day/night.

5 seed were sown; 3 germinated (the other two rotted). The seed germinated in 1-2 weeks. After germination, they were individually transplanted into peat pots containing 1:1:1:1:1 peaterliteumice:quartz sand:vermiculite, and topdressed with a thin (1-2mm) layer of vermiculite. When transplanting, a generous amount of surrounding vermiculite was taken so as not to damage the roots. The potting medium has been kept constantly moist for the time being. The seedlings have been left uncovered and placed 3" under the same lighting conditions, with slightly lower temps (70F/60F day/night) and humidity (50-65%). They have grown ~1mm vertically in the past week and appear very healthy.

A fairly verbose description, but I thought I'd share my method in detail with the forums, should anyone find it helpful (though I realize that sowing Drosophyllum lusitanicum seed onto vermiculite is nothing new).

Ken

Secretary, New England Carnivorous Plant Society (NECPS) http://www.necps.org/
    Member, International Carnivorous Plant Society (ICPS)
    Member, North American Sarracenia Conservancy (NASC)
    Member, The Carnivorous Plant Society (CPS)

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for sharing it with us. My missing ingredient is the GA3. Where can one obtain it? I have 4 seeds in the process of germinating - scarification and soaking in water, now placed in 1:1:1 sand/peat/perlite, covered with Saran wrap. but next spring I hope to try with a batch I have being stored in the fridge.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Jim,

Nice hearing from you. Sorry for not keeping in touch for a while, but this MD/PhD Program is killing me! Good news is I picked up my PhD in Neuroscience last May, and only have 2 more years to go before picking up the MD. Bad news is, I'm currently in the middle of my surgery clerkship and working 80 h/week! .....and then there's the 3+ years of residency.....JOY OF JOYS! But I haven't lost a plant yet!

To answer your question, I was given some by a friend of mine who works in a lab (I think you can find some in a Sigma catalog). It can also be found online--but the only offers I've seen are in liquid form.
    The problem is, as far as I know, GA3 doesn't have a very long shelf life at room temps and is even less stable once put into solution (perhaps gone mostly bad in a few days). So I'm not sure how reliable the online stuff is, though I haven't tried it.

The GA3 I used was in powdered form. If you find some of this, you'll have to first dissolve it in a few drops of 70%+ MeOH or EtOH, then add this solution to distilled water (GA3 is hydrophobic will not easily mix in water unless already dissolved). You'll also probably want to make use of a calibrated scale as micrograms of the stuff is all you'll need if you plan on making a 10ml volume solution (which is all you should need for a few seeds). Excessively strong solutions of GA3 have been shown to inhibit germination! So, if you're going to do it, might as well try to be as accurate as possible. I used a 500ppm solution, but I've read of people using 1000ppm. Going higher might be risky.

By the way, I don't think the GA3 is necessary to germinate Drosophyllum lusitanicumseed (even old seed, as they can be viable for many many years). I thought I'd use it anyway.

Sorry for the poor grammar--I've been writing emails for the past hour and my hands are tired!

Hope this helps.

Ken

PS: Good luck with your seed! Let me know how it turns out.

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought you were like 15, Ken

Is this blue too bright? Should I change back to pink?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    JimScott you can get GA3 online. Just do a search for it. Its realively inexpencive too. I found a couple sources for it.

Clint Yes the blue is too bright, and hard to read. I didn;t care for the pink, but atleast I could read it easily!
    JB
    Friend me on facebook with JB_orchidguy@yahoo.com.
    Growlist Updated 05/08/13

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh well. Pink matches the hearts.

Shut up

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Clint, you're too funny!!!

Ken, congratulations for your achievement! And good to hear from ya! I'd say, Go New England, but....

Josh, thanks.

I think I actually see some of that white pulpy mass swelling / emerging on one of the seeds, so maybe Ihave something there. Had to fight off algae / refresh the water while I was keeping them in water, by the window. Drosophyllum reminds me a lot of germinating Morning Glory seeds

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]I thought you were like 15, Ken
    Hehe......nope, I'm a ripe-old age of 26! Back when I was your age, I had to walk 5 miles to and from school, uphill both ways, through 6 feet of snow.

Quote[/b] ]And good to hear from ya! I'd say, Go New England, but....
    Don't get me started. I'd rather forget last weekend's game. Not pretty. Not pretty at all.

Quote[/b] ]Had to fight off algae / refresh the water while I was keeping them in water, by the window.
    I ran into similar problems when I tried germinating the seed in a tube of water, except my problem was with water mold/fungus.

Quote[/b] ]I think I actually see some of that white pulpy mass swelling / emerging on one of the seeds, so maybe Ihave something there.
    Keep your eyes on them. My seedlings grew very quickly!
    Good luck with them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast