What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. rotundifolia in Atlanta

I've done a little research on this dew, and it appears that it does best in cooler climates (such as the mountains) and I am wondering if it could take my atlanta sun/heat? All I have are seeds in the fridge that I bought on eBay a few months back that I have been waiting until winter to sow. It would be a little bit of a bummer if they croaked and just curious how they would do.

Here in Upstate NY we get some 90F days and the substrate where this species grows gets bathwater warm then. Can't say for sure but I think you'd be ok. The dormancy is more photoperiod induced than not, although cool temps. are a plus as is a nightime drop in temps. Make the experiment and share the data!

mine would go dormant on the windowsill in the same tray that capensis grew like mad year round. like Tamlin said dormancy appears to be more related to photoperiod than anything. filliformis would do the same thing. give it a try.

actually I'm not too worried about the dormancy part as it gets plenty cold here (at least for someone from Miami), more like the 90+ summer days roasting it.

ABG has rotundifolia as rogue plants in their bogs and such and it does fine so you should have no problems

Back