Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dewless D. capensis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Too much wind's no good fer Sundews either..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Farmer Dave @ Nov. 03 2006,10:43)]It looks fine!(actually better than mine whenever I got my first D. capensis) One thing that would have helped though would have been a quick soaking in superthrive.

Otherwise it looks like it will pull through.
    Of course it is going to pull through, you almost can't kill D. capensis. At least, I can't and that is saying something!

My D. capensis I have from getting seeds on here a year and a half ago. I put them on the sphagnum, watered it often and waited forever. I gave up on them after 6+ weeks and stopped watering them. About a week or two later (the moss was almost perfectly dry by this time) I started seeing green so I started watering it again. I've gone for a week or two without watering (they are in a plastic cup so it held water for 3-7 days but still was DRY), Iv'e gotten it to shrivel but it always bounces back. I just harvested two sets of seed pods so I'm going to expand my d. capensis (my only CP right now, my VFT's didn't make it through, I don't think I have the patience for VFT's or domestic sundews, only the tropical ones).

I'd just keep watering them and keep them under light 24 hours a day until they get a bit bigger and better established. And yeah, stop the misting.

[Edit: Your post has been edited to improve its value as an archive and to help others understand more precisely which plants you are writing about. You can read more about the details of writing plant names at Plant Names Thread.]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    strange development. my D. capensis no longer produces tencacles (or whatever they are called...) to the tip of the leaves. still no dew, or very little. could it be bad water

[Edit: Your post has been edited to improve its value as an archive and to help others understand more precisely which plants you are writing about. You can read more about the details of writing plant names at Plant Names Thread.]

if i were ruler of the world, anyone who defined a nepenthene as a "companion plant" to orchids would be fired from a cannon atop mt. kinabalu.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Meaven @ Nov. 09 2006,1:15)]strange development. my capensis no longer produces tencacles (or whatever they are called...) to the tip of the leaves. still no dew, or very little. could it be bad water
    Sounds like aphids to me. Check the underside of the leaves and see if you see any. I recently sprayed mine with Orthro.
    dewy
    John 3:16
    My grow list/want list
    Prior to the funeral home visit, we heard ~ "Hey'all watch this ! !"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sounds like your exactly right. ortho bug-b-gone? SG says orthene is the best but im not sure which kind.

also i need a suggestion for some fungucide to use before i put my plants into dormancy.
    if i were ruler of the world, anyone who defined a nepenthene as a "companion plant" to orchids would be fired from a cannon atop mt. kinabalu.

VFT and Drosera lover vft guy in SJ's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Orthenex I believe is the name it is now marketed under. You should be able to find it at just about anyplace that sells pestacides... I have even seen it at the garden center at the local drugstore...

Good luck
    Steve
    There are only 2 infinite things... the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not too sure about the universe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    so the stress can be a reason for dewless sundew 'cause i allready started to wander why my sundews are dry on this Saturday i bought 2 droseras - capensis and aliciae (i'm not sure for this one. 'cause on pot was written "mix of plants" and from pictures in internet i found 3 very similar - aliciae, esterhuyseniae and longiscapa). how long it will take for them to start to "cry"?

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These are sub-tropicals so they don't require dormancy, but the D. capensis sometimes dies down to the roots. Make sure they're getting plenty of light and are well watered in trays and you'll probably see some dew formation within a week. When looking at the plants, try backlighting them or lighting from various angles. Often times my aliciae looks dewless but changing the light angle brings out the sparkle and indeed there is dew.

Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast