What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

propagating D. graminifolia

I have a double potted graminifolia that since being moved to under floro lights for a few months has *really* taken off. I was curious, how does one propagate these plants? Do they often flower and produce seeds? Are they self polinating? Thanks for the info!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (CPsInAtl @ Oct. 14 2006,7:31)]I have a double potted graminfolia that since being moved to under floro lights for a few months has *really* taken off. I was curious, how does one propagate these plants? Do they often flower and produce seeds? Are they self polinating? Thanks for the info!
When I was growing that species, I found it simple and easy to propagate the same as Drosera filiformis, by floating short segments of the leaves (1-2 inches long) in containers of water, until small plantlets with roots had formed, then planting them out into pots of media.

BTW, the species is actually spelled, Drosera graminifolia.

Thanks for the info. I may take a leaf cutting today and try it. I tried the floating leaf trick with capensis once and didn't have any luck. Perhaps this plant will be more cooperative.

Hello,

i have not had luck propagating this species by any means. I only once got a small bud on a leaf, that rotted as soon as i potted it. Root cuttings also didn't work. I would really like to have some more of these plants, but i seem to be unable to propagate it. Does anyone know if it is at least self-fertile, in case i will ever get it to flower?

Christian

Hi Christian,

I had the same results as you with budding the leaves. I got several buds, but they refused to strike roots. Maybe rooting hormone would help.

Plants flowered for me, but didn't set seeds despite multiple attempts with hand pollinating the flowers.

There are some clones of this plant that are self-fertile. I have plants that came from a batch of seed from one such plant. So if I ever get flowers there is a chance the trait will have carried through.

Back