What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The D. auriculata has rose again!

Ok well some may remember my Drosera auriculata from last year and the year before. Its now in its 3rd year and i see one bulb sprouted so far and the rest should be up now that its been really cold lately. I usually get it to sprout outside late fall and bring in in case of frosts and freezes but it is happy outside in the cold weather and it gets it a jump start. Picture coming probably tomorow.

congrats!! my seeds of Drosera peltata still havent germinated. do you grow yours on a windowsill??
Alex

yea i grow them on a windowsill thats kinda drafty and cool and it loves it.

None of my tuberous seeds have sprouted yet. I have 4 different kinds outside at the momment in the sun. I hope they don't take 4 years like some folks have mentioned.

Way to go on the re-emergance of your Drosera auriculata!

Don't give up! there's still hope yet for those stubborn seeds to sprout. I planted a couple of tuberous seeds in Sept, gigantea <span style='color:red'>[Edit: actually Drosera gigantea]</span> and petalta var. foliosa <span style='color:red'>[Edit: actually Drosera peltata var. foliosa]</span>. Last week i found tiny tiny little sprouts in the petalta <span style='color:red'>[Edit: actually Drosera peltata]</span> pot. They now are showing tiny dew pads. I did collect the seeds myself this Spring, so i know they were fresh!
Peter.

I ordered my seeds from a guy in Austraila on Ebay. Gigantea <span style='color:red'>[Edit: actually Drosera gigantea]</span>, petalta <span style='color:red'>[Edit: actually Drosera peltata]</span>, stenofila(sp) <span style='color:red'>[Edit: actually Drosera stenopetala ]</span> and one more I forget off the top of my head. I didn't mark the date I plant the seeds like I should have. I am not going to give up I will keep them for 4 years if I have to to get them to sprout, but heck I paid about 20 bucks for all these seeds!

well tubers usually sprout before the seeds in my experience.

carnivorkid, pics?!?!??!

-Ben

yes, pics!

I had some seed sprout this May - I know, poor planning
confused.gif
- I have kept them cool all summer, they are small rosettes, but I am moving them outside now that it is finally below 80F (most days...).

I'ld like to see what they could be.

Yes I would like to see them too.

ok going out to take some pictures as well as transplant the one as its growing up against the plastic pot.

Note that my dog knocked the pot off the windowsill during dormancy so the tubers were misplaced so i left them as is and the tubers on top i planted them seperated in the pot. Well one happened to come up against the side of the pot so today i moved it more to the middle as they are just sprouting they have little root system but more as a tuber .

Before transplant(notice the one growing up against the side

IMG_5707.jpg

IMG_5708.jpg

this is a sprout that shows really no sundew leaves yet.

IMG_5709.jpg

Dug out this tuber to transplant it (notice the tuber-pea shaped

IMG_5711.jpg

this is the transplanted one happily with room.

IMG_5713.jpg

Enjoy!!
smile_n_32.gif

awsome!

Hope it lives well for you a for as long as you have it!

Ya i had it for 3 years its basically a perrenial in the opposite seasons.

has it flowered for you yet?
what does it look like when 'fully' grown?

it flowers every year even as a seedling it did heres last years pic i couldnt find one with it in flower but this is the general height of one mature they get about 1 foot tall this picture shows buds. I know i have some better pictures. Well it hits peak around febuary- april and i will continually update as it grows. i am growing 3 new tuberous types that i have seeds for and waiting for them to sprout.

d396b4d8.jpg

Back