What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosophyllum lusitanicum finally flowering

elgecko

I've got a magic window!
Here's a picture of my Drosophyllum lusitanicum that has finally decided to form a flower stalk for me.

dewyflower.jpg

Wow! Very nice! What are you're going conditions?

Congrats on the flowering.
Lois

Wow, that's amazing, and on a windowsill too! Do ya have a pic of the whole plant?

-Ben

ah man...i never could get my seeds to germinate despite GA3 and scarification

Wow! I rememeber when that was a seedling.
smile_n_32.gif

That's darn cool, Elgecko, you must be smiling pretty wide at that business, no??

Looking forward to the NEXT set of pics
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (phissionkorps @ Nov. 06 2006,10:58)]ah man...i never could get my seeds to germinate despite GA3 and scarification
I've had a few swell and show the white part from scarification, but that's as far as it got.

Great job, Steve!

Nice job. Getting mine to flowering stage is one of my goals.

Thanks for the comments.

It has taken the plant just about 2 and a half years to finally flower for me.
I grow this plant in full sun outside spring to fall. Then in the winter I bring it inside to the windowsill.
It is planted in a 8" plastic pot. The soil is equal parts perlite, play sand, and vermiculite. It gets watered twice a week, sparingly.

Drosophyllum2.jpg

I've noticed that the Drosophyllum lusitanicum is similar to Drosera flowers that only stay open a few hours for a day.
Here's the best shot I have of a flower so far.

dewyfloweropen.jpg

nice! id be interested in some seeds as soon as you get some
smile.gif

Alex

same here!

How much flowers are on it?
I heard that you should keep them much drier after they flower, is that true?

On the stalk there is 16 flowers.
As for keeping them drier, I think I've read that somewhere. I'm still watering the plant the same as I always have.

If you are there when the plant is flowering, take a toothpick and tickle the anthers and stigma. You will get a much larger production of seeds in those pods.
Lois

Back