What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. filiformis var tracyi

glider14

Always a newbie
hello!
i just got my envelope of about 10-11 D. filiformis var tracyi leaf cutting seedlings(thanks farmer dave!!!). do they need a dormancy this year? and what kind of temperatures are they hardy too??
Alex

I've found with that species that you cannot "fool" them- if anything at all about their environment makes them "want" to go dormant, they will and there's no stopping them. They don't seem to need so much cold as they do reduced photoperiod, and I've had them in trays before, seedlings from cuttings, and they went dormant right next to all my year-round growers.

As to what they're hardy to, I know that I killed some by leaving them outside last year, so a typical Niagara winter (mostly around 0 C but can get down past -20 C) will kill them, but as to what they can "take" for real, I couldn't say, they seem a LOT less tough than the garden variety D.filiformis ssp. filiformis tho

Your Welcome!

All of the rest of my full grown D. filiformis var. tracyi have huge set hiberniculum bigger than a half dollar.

In saying that, I think that you should give them a winter dormancy if you want them to live.

And In the Spring/Summer give them lots of light unless if you want drooping leaves.

Back