Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Recently registered cultivan

VFT and Drosera lover vft guy in SJ's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Joseph... Do your plants self seed? The plants I have have flowered but have yet to form seed. How hardy are they for transplanting? Mine are potted with some P. lusitanica which is threatening to take over the whole pot. I have been wanting to transplant them but am afraid to lose the few plants I have of this species. Any tips would be appreciated.

Edit: here are a couple pics of my (rather crowded) D. 'Emerald's Envy' plants.

Cheers
    Steve

There are only 2 infinite things... the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not too sure about the universe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alex,
    Yes, basically, because it has less red pigment, even under conditions that normal plants would be displaying lots of red pigment. And, this does make them look greener. If you had seen them in the wild, growing as a small clumping colony, surrounded by individuals and clumping colonies of the normally redder pigmented plants. It truly looked amazing. The redder plants tended to blend into their dark-brown soil background much better, while these stood out like white on black.

--------------------------------------
    Steve,
    Nice looking group of plants. Most of the time mine self-seed. Sometimes I am disappointed waiting for seed pods to mature and then to discover no seed, but this is rare, usually happens with the last flower stalks of the season.

They transplant most easily if you carefully maintain the integrity of the entire meager root system. I do this by unpotting and carefully breaking the media mass immediately under the plant in a vertical fasion, then carefully working the plant and its roots free from the media. Then I push the roots together into a column and drop it into the new planting hole, then firming the new media around the roots.

Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

VFT and Drosera lover vft guy in SJ's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Joseph. I will transplant them when I return from vacation next weekend and let you know how it goes.

Cheers
    Steve

Edit: Oh one more thing.. how do they do as leaf cuttings? As long as I have them uprooted I figure I might as well take a few cuttings. I normally use the "cup of water" method you recommend for cuttings.. Any tips for cuttings?

Thanks
    Steve
    There are only 2 infinite things... the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not too sure about the universe.

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Beautiful plants! Hopefully there will be seeds available in the seed banks in the near future?
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Drosera36 @ Nov. 18 2006,1:44)]In the ICPS magazine, the guy said he discovered these guys, then grew them, gave some away, then years later asked if anyone had some left that he gave them, and named 'em.
    For you that have not yet found it, the ICPS web site has all of the cultivar descriptions that have been published in CPN.
    http://www.carnivorousplants.org/cpn...istrations.htm

including Joseph's published description of Drosera capillaris 'Emerald' Envy'
    http://www.carnivorousplants.org/cpn...5n1p12_13.html

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123