What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Propagating D. regia

I was clearing out some old plants and decided to try the root-cutting method to propagate my D. regia. I took a few sections of root and buried them under some airy mix, and a few weeks later, they're popping up all over the place! I didn't cover it or anything, I just tossed it on a shelf with my highland nepenthes. I highly recommend this method!

D-1.jpg

Capslock

Oo.gif

Nice dews!
How big are they?

Nice! I just planted a root cutting I took from my D. 'Big Easy' from the long root that was growing outta the bottom of the pot and across the water tray.
Root's probly 4" long.
Any advice like which end to plant, like the cut side up/down and how wet?

Yeah, I planted the entire root horizontally. About 1 inch or less under the surface all the way across. And I kept it moist, but not really wet. I watered it like a nepenthes, basically. Used my nepenthes mix too.

Oh, Farmer Dave, that's a six inch pot.

Capslock

Nice.

Wish I could get D. regia to grow for me.

hmm...as a highlander eh? how long until they get REALLY big. lets say bigger than 18in across?
Alex

Horizontally? I think Ima dig it up an try that..

An El Gecko, you should try the D. 'Big Easy' clone, if you can grow a Hamata, you should be able to grow a D. 'Big Easy' in the same environment except with more light maybe..
Looks the same as a regular King, just more vigorous & warm-tolerant, doesn't grow as large though.

quogue,
I've tried 3 D. 'Big Easy' clones now with no luck.
sad.gif

I still have the one I got not long ago, hoping it will return from it's roots.

I have talked to Michael from CP Nursery asking about how he grows his D. regia and telling him the trouble I've had with mine. He made mention that he moved some D. regia from one grow shelf to another and some plants disliked that by dying on him.
The person that I recieved my first 2 small plants told me that some of his plants, for no reason would just die.

Nice Capslock! That's so cool.

I have a D. regia on a windowsill, just because I don't have room for it anywhere else. I may take some root cuttings when I repot it this spring.

Hiya Elgecko, as a testament to the strength of D. regia, I have a little story:

I got my first one from Peter at California Carnivores when I lived in SF, lived as a balcony plant hapilly.
Then I moved back to LI/NY and packed it in my checked luggage and flew it back with me. lived OK at best for a bit in the basement with not high-enough-light-levels, then I moved to Brooklyn, did iffy at first and in the summertime my 4th floor apartment got HOT! Plant didn't like that too much but before August I was outta there for other reasons.
Moved back to LI and didn't realize the short lifespan of flourescent tubes. Had it growing under old tubes and they already looked pretty dead after Brooklyn anyways. Figured out the light thing, gave em a chance to bounce back and they totally did sprouting a new growth point. Now I live in an apartment with a cool kitchen and they love it, even sprouting another growth point.

Point of the story is: I made some mistakes with a "purebred" King Sundew and it didn't look like it was coming back, I didn't give up on it, finally got it the right conditions and now it looks great! All of this is over the course of 3-4 years.

Things I find D. regia likes: Cool temps and Lots-o-light, I have mine so close to the lights they touch em sometimes. The D. 'Big Easy' is definitely more warm-tolerant and vigorous than the "purebred" D. regia so it's definitely easier to grow.
If grown as a windowsill plant, cool Southern light is best, afternoon light will burn it.

Hope this helps and I love your Hamata!!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Capslock @ Nov. 21 2006,4:25)]Yeah, I planted the entire root horizontally. About 1 inch or less under the surface all the way across. And I kept it moist, but not really wet. I watered it like a nepenthes, basically. Used my nepenthes mix too.

Oh, Farmer Dave, that's a six inch pot.

Capslock
Thanks fer the tip, got my first sprouts from the D. 'Big Easy' clip and there's abuncha accidental root cuttings of my Kings from repotting a month ago that I'll be keeping my eye on...

I noticed a week or two ago, that I do have a growth coming back from the roots.
smile.gif

Nice!! These bad-boys'll do that.. Once it get's going, it'll explode into growth!

Some kinda recent sprouts of Regia's. gotten alot bigger since I took this pic...
BabyKings.jpg

how "warm-tolerant" exactly is the big easy?

Very nice plants, me likey.

Thanks! I grow both the Regia & BE side-by-side and during the hottest of the summer (like last year's heatwave) my Regia looked alittle unhappy... the BE kept growing strong though & both had gobs-o-goo.
Unfortunately I didn't have a temp gauge at the time so I don't exactly know how hot is hot. My kitchen does stay fairly cool even in the summer, but it still gets warm in the tank with the lights and whatnot.
I have a gauge now so I'll see what's up this summer!
The BE IS a vigorous plant, it barely slowed after repotting, root cutting and the cold temps it gets on the winter nights.

They look good.

Here's a shot from a few weeks ago of the plants that have returned from the roots. :banana2:

Top picture is how th eplant looked when I got it. Leafs over 3" long.

Then the 2 new plants that come up from the roots. Leaves about 1 - 1 1/2" now.

bigeasy.jpg

Nice pics! What kinda mix are ya using btw?

Thanks

Same mix I use on about everything.
Equal parts peat moss, perlite, and LFS.

Back