Thread: How I grow tuberous Drosera

It's been one of dem days BigCarnivourKid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyro View Post
    Oh I see... You are just trying to be difficult LOL
    I have it on good authority (my wife and daughter) that I am difficult. I don't have to try! I'll go with the peat as the seeds have already had enough experimenting done to them. I put them in a 2oz deli container with some water to germinate back in July and they got pushed behind some other plants. Out of sight - out of mind. Found them Saturday and they were still alive but stunted, so I thought I'd plant them and see what I get.
    ---Steve Allinger---

How come chicken fingers are bigger than buffalo wings?

My Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sorry to bump this up but where does the dieback start ? at the bottom up ? or other way around.

my tuber (d.peltata spp. ariculata) still a seedling, is dieing back. I increased the light so i think its going into dormacy. the avrge day temps are 80-95F (lol whoops). Imma start drying out the pot so that it'll get used to soil being bone dry.

After dormancy (if i did it correctly) do they make growth without water ? then continue growing them normally ?

EDIT: nvm its not dieing back -.- its just coloration in the stem and the leaves still have dew

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Die back starts from the top down on the upright species.

After dormancy, the plants can start growth before being watered. I often look for growth to show before putting the pots back in the tray
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat
    Hagerstown, Maryland

--
    actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How do I know if the tuberous dew I got as a freebie is alive it's black?
    Do I dig it out and check it It's in a pot full of bladder wart

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anybody?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by uphwiz View Post
    How do I know if the tuberous dew I got as a freebie is alive it's black?
    Do I dig it out and check it It's in a pot full of bladder wart
    i hate to say this but yours might be a gonner...
    first of all, when potting up tuberous dews, it is best to use a dry or barely damp media. do everything normal as you would for getting a pot ready for planting, but let it dry out after.
    potting a tuberous dew in an already wet media, especially if it is not ready to break dormancy, will cause it to rot (im taking this inference from your bladderwort reference).
    watering usually commences in an increasing frequency when a stem forms out of the eye of the tuber.
    tubers should be firm, and not wilted like a raisin- even if it's black, if it's firm, it's still viable.
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ill check it out and put up a pic of whats underneath , someone gave me this sundew , im not sure how they were handeling it , all i know is the leaves are now black , ive not up rooted it or disturbed it in any way its sitting on the dry side right now the bladderwort is also turning kinda white, from being on the very dry side .
    is there a chance that it could have just shut down for the season , are these temperate or tropical. will they grow in my area zone 7 ish
    thanks amp for the info

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ok i seperated everything i could and this is what i got out, they had kinda of a single long tap with a bulb at the bottom i guess this was the tuber.
    i cleaned everything i could and rinsed them clean, repotted and this is now about 10 -14 days. think they are growing.
    when should i let them start the dormant thing , they are starting the growth cycle right?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123