What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pygmy and a tuberous

Well my D. nitudula x pulchella is producing gemmae and my D. auriculata is sky rocketing.

IMG_5910.jpg

IMG_5908.jpg

IMG_5914.jpg

IMG_5913.jpg

Nice plants!

Do your tuberous dews ever produce seed?

nice pictures. are they growing on stalks?, i didnt know they did that. what kind of light are they getting?

i have them in a south facing window so they get a good bit. and its cool to for them. ya they do grow on little stalks and kinda climb.

They look really good. What are the temps your D. auriculata get on the windowsill?

-Ben

i would say like 70 during most winter days and maybe 60 at night but the soil probably is a lower temp due to the windowsill and window having that chill to it. Also this is there 3rd year

Hello,

if you ask me, the plant do need much more light! This could explain the stalks on the D. nitidula x pulchella. My plants do not have such stalks, even if severaly years old. They are lighted for about 8hrs in winter. A south facing windows does not provide enoug light for Drosera, especially in winter.

Christian

well i was thinking that myself for the pgymy as it is kinda tall and has a stalk. I actually misread the one post. i though he said bout the D. auriculata having stalks and the D. auriculata 3rd year and not the pgymy thats only 1 year from gemmae.

Yeah, thats what I was getting at, they look very starved for light.
I dont know where you live, but for me they do best outside.

nah its like 20 degrees out i live in philly

do your tuberous dews produce seed?

oops! i didn't see that all 3 times i looked

Hybrid pygmy sundew are very hardy, unless it snow where you live. They should be harden up to full sun. The plants will colour up.
As far I know only two species of tuberous sundews self seed, Drosera auriculata and D. peltata. You can extand the growing season by keep the plants in a cool, shady location. I seen D. auriculata growing into summer this way.

ya i usually keep them going till like early july but temps hit like 90+ so its really hard to keep my D. auriculata going. i also am trying Drosera peltata, D. macrantha, D. stolonifera .... and D. menziesii somnething. i dont really know them well s im just trying them for the first time and they are seeds right now. Ya i usually have seed in spring for the D. auriculata

Ya we do get lots of snow but not yet though and the pots would freeze for sure. i do keep them out as long as possible in the cold until it went below 35.

I love Drosera menzesii ssp menzesii. Build up tubers number fast and put on great flower display when planted in colony. Tough as nails!!

Donovan: I've got sprouted D. auriculata & peltata. How should I be cultivating them, now, considering it winter? I have them currently open tray, window sill. Should they be colder, wetter, drier...? Should they be treated like pigmy sundews?

cool and wet this is there main season they must grow enough to produce a tuber.

But does that also apply to seeds that sprouted this fall?

Back