Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Pics - Recent Acquisitions

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went to the last meeting on December 16. The meetings are the 3rd Saturday every other month. The next meeting should be February 17.

Check out the LACPS Yahoo Group too.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Not a Number View Post
    From what I gather petiolaris complex Drosera develop fairly extensive (for Drosera) almost tuberous roots. If the plant goes dormant overwatering could lead to root rot.
    So wouldn't you want to grow it like a tropical to prevent it from going dormant? D. Regia will go dormant too if you give it the right temps and less light, however I don't give it a chance to.
    James 1:17

"Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows."

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    According to Peter D'Amato this complex will continue to grow in cultivation if kept wet. The experience with with those who I've heard that grow the wooleys is that they'll do as they damn well please and may or may not go dormant. Since the plants appeared to be dormant it was safer to err on the side of underwatering rather the overwatering. The woolys have a reputation of being difficult to bring out of dormancy. And again, the experienced growers recommended the "dry" watering.

It should be noted that the appearnce of the dormant plant varies from species to species, some with not so obvious "hibernicula". Also according to D'Amato some will die down to the root when dormant.

See this also thread.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are they in peat and vermiculite?
    Last edited by ChronoKiento; 01-15-2007 at 01:53 PM. Reason: Ugh..
    Growlist
    I'm back?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Right now the D. paradoxa are still in the plugs they were in from the seed tray, which looks like a mixture of >=60% peat to perlite. I planted the plugs intact into a mix of 2:1 sand : peat, which is the recommended mixture. I'll probably separate the individual plants into 2:1 sand : peat early spring, and take a look at the roots of the plants that fell apart on me. Or I just may leave that plug alone.

They seem to be doing well, the centers are getting greener every day with some new leaf growth with dew forming on the new leaves.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123