Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: D. capensis "red"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I too find that my Drosera capensis "red" really takes even more light than most other CP to color-up well.
    Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Joseph,
    The way people talk when germinating seed for this plant, it's a crap shoot whether they get true red or not. Do you think it's because they just subject them to their normal conditions and give up whem they don't turn bright red?

Cheers,

Joe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Joe,
    I have had the same thought. You are probably, right-on, this "red" D. capensis really needs lots of light before it looks any different from an ordinarily colored plant. I would guess, too, that lots of people do as you suggest, and wind up believing the seed were producing normal colored plants. If only the use of, too much light, were more common, then those kinds of problems would happen much less often.

I know that it is possible for this not to come true from seed, but in my experience, it rarely happens. I've grown hundreds of these from seed and they've all been quite red under good conditions. Perhaps if the seed were an intentional cross with the normal colored forms, then it might show more variation.

Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I received some D. capensis 'Albino' seeds from Bob Ziemer in the summer of 2004 I think, and turns out they were D. capensis (Red), very red in fact, and would color up very easily under 90 watts of light.

-Ben
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 01-27-2007 at 11:06 PM. Reason: Correction of name
    He who can, does. He who can't, teaches. -George Bernard Shaw
    I love these shirts!!!
    My Growlist
    My Webpage

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice plants Ben! Nice plants indeed!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like a labeling accident. Too bad the seed are not red or white. Did you eventually get your Drosera capensis 'Albino'?

Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. Not until a long time later, but I didn't find out that they were the 'red' variety until a year ago, kinda weird, but there's a whole story behind that. Because of space limitations, my plant was moved to a windowsill, and often I forgot to water it, and then it was moved to my bathroom counter, where it got really green and unhappy. Now it's on the growshelf, and the growth point is burned, but it should be ok. What's interesting is that the lil D. capensis 'Albino' seedlings (or rather stunted adults, because I sowed them maybe a year ago) that share the same pot as the D. capensis (Red) did not grow at all during this several month period that the pot was neglected, and only now that they are in sufficient light are they growing. Sorta like they went dormant, but their leaves stayed green and didn't brown. (You can see them in the first pic, which was taken in April, but they were sowed in mid December. They are still the same size as in the April pic.)

-Ben
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 01-27-2007 at 11:07 PM. Reason: Correction of name
    He who can, does. He who can't, teaches. -George Bernard Shaw
    I love these shirts!!!
    My Growlist
    My Webpage

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ben,
    Those look like D. capensis 'Albino'..
    Are you sure there is not a hole in the ozone layer right above your house?

Seriously, really nice plants.

Cheers,

Joe

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast