What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

quick question

Hi everyone, been a while since I posted. Anyway-- update.

My MONSTER byblis liniflora is doing nicely, the other one died but it left its seed.
monster.jpg

Hopefully its offspring will inherit its weird traits

Ok... here's the question. Recently was given 4 drosera falconeri. FOC (fresh out of tissue culture). Of course I dont want to be responsible for their deaths, and falconeri I heard is fairly difficult. I have a tiny experience with petiolaris complex, but not a LOT. (Right now, just have d. lanata- though it's doing very well).
I put it under the same conditions lanata used to be in during the cold months- covered completely, waterlogged, under an HD bulb a couple inches away. Should this do the trick?
The other two I gave to my brother, and he put them under the same conditions but its a much smaller bulb.

Would I need to provide more heat? I do live in orange county so it isn't to cold (and in the house of course), and the HD bulb heats things up pretty well- also our heat is on more often.

Whats an HD lamp? You mean HID?

Should be fine. I don't keep mine soaking wet but if it works for you then no reason not to. Mine does great under HID.

Well I usually remember them being HD... but its those flourescent lights that twist around so both ends are on one thing that you can screw into something. Wattage? I'm not sure but its the biggest one at home depot.

OOH I thought you meant metal halide.

I don't like those screw in PC's at all. That's just me though.

yeah some people dont like them for some reason
The good thing about them is they get pretty hot in a small area, so good for lowlands and tropical drosera.
oh.gif

What do you mean by FOC? Did you "deflask" the plant(lets) yourself (came still in the TC media/TC flask) or were already "hardened" in CP mix/peat/LFS/Sphagnum?

well me and the person who gave it to me deflasked it. So they weren't hardened. He had deflasked another one last week- said it started growing again in a week, which was pretty nice i guess.

Back