What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

North American Temperate Sundew Seeds

I am interested in seeding some North American temperate sundew seeds in an outdoor bog garden. To avoid untrackable hybridization, I'm probably going to go with a single species. I've found several that I'm interested in, but I'm not sure what the best choice might be. The "garden" is a huge plastic pot, being grown outdoors in full sun throughout the spring, summer, and fall, and protected from wind in partial sun in the winter. Current inhabitants are some Sarracenia hybrids, and a few VFTs, with a Sphagnum top-dressing. Can anyone make a recommendation on a hardy species to begin? Also, recommended sowing time (ie immediately in winter, spring, temp above **deg, etc.). Hopefully I'll be able to trade for some seeds in the trading post, or find some to buy. If I left out any necessary information, let me know and I'll update the post...

D. intermedia, D. rotundifolia, D. filiformis, and although not N.A., D. binata.

D. anglica is also native to N.A. Or, D. x obovata, which is a natural hybrid between D. rotundifolia and D. anglica. It's sterile, so you can grow many plants next to it and not worry about hybridization. Never grew any of these before, though.

-Ben

My personal recommendation is D. filiformis. If you PM me your address I have some seeds I can send you.

Steve

I'd recommened against D. binata if you have low-growers in your container. D. binata is a great plant, especially outside, but from what I've seen, and from experiences related to me by other growers, it has a knack for smothering other plants in communal pots. I have D. binata in three-inch-deep pots that have two-foot-long leaves; I'm not sure how big it could get if I gave it the space to really send down roots.
I think Steve is right; D. filiformis is a good one. I'd go for a shorter variety like D. filiformis var. filiformis. D. intermedia would be my other recommendation. D. rotundifolia is a nice plant, but kind of small next to a healthy VFT or Sarr. D. intermedia has short foliage, but not as short as D. rotundifolia, and they grow gradual climbing stems that make the adult plants look kind of like little sundew trees.
~Joe

Thanks for all the recommendations so far. I was originally thinking either D. intermedia or D. filiformis var. filiformis or maybe D. filiformis 'Red'. D. intermedia was my first choice, but I'm not sure about the stalk-forming habit. I'd rather have something that stays fairly constant, even if it is constantly taller. I have a lead on reasonably-priced D. intermedia seed from NC, which ought to grow well next to my VFTs. Since I've got two outdoor bogs, I suppose I could filiformis in one and intermedia in the other, and see which does best. And, since their hybrids are sterile, there shouldn't be much trouble in random hybridization. If I'm missing something, someone let me know. I'd rather not put plants in an atmosphere where they'll suffer. Thanks again for all the input!

D. intermedia likes being waterlogged so plant them in a low spot in your mini-bog.

D.filiformis ssp filiformis is bomb-proof, it is the only species I can grow outdoors year-round up here in Canada with NO special attention, and seeing as you have a much less hars climate, you could maybe give one of the more fancy ones a try, like D. "California Sunset", I would guess it would do well and not be a spreading problem (as long as you destroy any seeds that come off of it
biggrin.gif
)

All good info. I'm going to try some intermedia from NC, and some filiformis var. filiformis. Hopefully both will work out well. This is going to be an exciting experiment! The only Drosera I've tried so far is capensis.

Thanks to Steve for the D. filiformis var. filiformis seed! I sowed some filiformis and intermedia seed on 1/14, and stuck them outside to stratify. Just brought them inside on 2/18, so hopefully the clock is ticking on germination!

You should have no problems with them, like I said in my last post, they are TOUGH, and clumps of them are REALLY striking. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you :D

Hi there - I live in NY, and I can send you lots of D. intermedia that lives in my outdoor bog. Comes back every year, so I guess it's hardy!

Just PM me later in the spring, around late March, when I will uncover the bog.

Filiformis need stratification?

I have a liking towards D.xbeleziana, which as far as I know is sterile.
I think it's a great looking plant!!

Filiformis need stratification?

I usually clone my D. filiformis plants via leaf cuttings as it results in a larger, hardier plant in a far shorter time. However, the few times I have grown them out from seed, I have always provided a natural stratification. I sow seeds in late fall, and by early spring I have sprouts. I would assume that would work with a refrigerator stratification as well.

Cheers,
Steve

Yep, I'm sure you could get some seeds to germinate without stratification, but you'd be wasting a lot of seeds I think-

I am in the same position as VFT-guy Steve as far as seed too, tho I am in a much colder climate, they fall off the plants in fall and sit under the snow until spring, when they sprout- sometimes even stuff that can't live here will survive (in seed form) overwinter and come up from seed in spring (tho that's usually a 2 year cycle, the plants don't flower soon enough to aoid death at the hands of Jack Frost)

I will not waste any filiformis seeds for sure (but that's because I don't have any ;) 1st year grower eheh). Darlingtonia are also tipically said to need stratification, but I had pretty good sucess without :-D Dionaea seeds also mature in summer and also don't need stratification. Just thought filiformis was one of this situations.
Thank you both ;)

Back