Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: North American Temperate Sundew Seeds

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am interested in seeding some North American temperate sundew seeds in an outdoor bog garden. To avoid untrackable hybridization, I'm probably going to go with a single species. I've found several that I'm interested in, but I'm not sure what the best choice might be. The "garden" is a huge plastic pot, being grown outdoors in full sun throughout the spring, summer, and fall, and protected from wind in partial sun in the winter. Current inhabitants are some Sarracenia hybrids, and a few VFTs, with a Sphagnum top-dressing. Can anyone make a recommendation on a hardy species to begin? Also, recommended sowing time (ie immediately in winter, spring, temp above **deg, etc.). Hopefully I'll be able to trade for some seeds in the trading post, or find some to buy. If I left out any necessary information, let me know and I'll update the post...

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    D. intermedia, D. rotundifolia, D. filiformis, and although not N.A., D. binata.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    D. anglica is also native to N.A. Or, D. x obovata, which is a natural hybrid between D. rotundifolia and D. anglica. It's sterile, so you can grow many plants next to it and not worry about hybridization. Never grew any of these before, though.

-Ben
    He who can, does. He who can't, teaches. -George Bernard Shaw
    I love these shirts!!!
    My Growlist
    My Webpage

VFT and Drosera lover vft guy in SJ's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My personal recommendation is D. filiformis. If you PM me your address I have some seeds I can send you.

Steve
    There are only 2 infinite things... the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not too sure about the universe.

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd recommened against D. binata if you have low-growers in your container. D. binata is a great plant, especially outside, but from what I've seen, and from experiences related to me by other growers, it has a knack for smothering other plants in communal pots. I have D. binata in three-inch-deep pots that have two-foot-long leaves; I'm not sure how big it could get if I gave it the space to really send down roots.
    I think Steve is right; D. filiformis is a good one. I'd go for a shorter variety like D. filiformis var. filiformis. D. intermedia would be my other recommendation. D. rotundifolia is a nice plant, but kind of small next to a healthy VFT or Sarr. D. intermedia has short foliage, but not as short as D. rotundifolia, and they grow gradual climbing stems that make the adult plants look kind of like little sundew trees.
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the recommendations so far. I was originally thinking either D. intermedia or D. filiformis var. filiformis or maybe D. filiformis 'Red'. D. intermedia was my first choice, but I'm not sure about the stalk-forming habit. I'd rather have something that stays fairly constant, even if it is constantly taller. I have a lead on reasonably-priced D. intermedia seed from NC, which ought to grow well next to my VFTs. Since I've got two outdoor bogs, I suppose I could filiformis in one and intermedia in the other, and see which does best. And, since their hybrids are sterile, there shouldn't be much trouble in random hybridization. If I'm missing something, someone let me know. I'd rather not put plants in an atmosphere where they'll suffer. Thanks again for all the input!

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    D. intermedia likes being waterlogged so plant them in a low spot in your mini-bog.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Metal King
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    D.filiformis ssp filiformis is bomb-proof, it is the only species I can grow outdoors year-round up here in Canada with NO special attention, and seeing as you have a much less hars climate, you could maybe give one of the more fancy ones a try, like D. "California Sunset", I would guess it would do well and not be a spreading problem (as long as you destroy any seeds that come off of it )
    Da Growlist

"You don't need a license to drive a sandwich"-Spongebob Squarepants

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast