Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: dewless sundews?

Stop having a boring tuna, stop having a boring life! neon-eon's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

dewless sundews?

When my D. spatulata and D. capensis first arrived they both had a whole bunch of dew on them. This was sometime in late november. I kept them on my windowsill with a compact 30 watt flourecent light bulb a few feet above them. After about a week I noticed that the amount of dew was decreasing. In mid-december I moved them into a a nice humid green house, in hopes of returning them to their normal state. I placed the same light bulb a couple of feet above them. The dew still didn't return. About a week ago I moved the light closer to them. They're now about a foot or so below the light. The D. spatulata seems to have increased its dew but just by a little. Some of the leaves of the D. capensis don't have any dew at all right now.

How long does it normaly take for the dew to return to a Drosera?

Does anybody know why this would be happening?

(The D. capensis is flowering, making the situation even stranger to me.)
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 01-17-2007 at 07:51 PM. Reason: Correction of scientific name
    -No matter what you do with your life, I still care about you. -Mr P.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They're not getting enough light. 30w a foot away is practically nothing. You should have at least 80w, and then maybe a foot away or closer. Humidity isn't a big factor. Cut off the flower, it'll just make the D. capensis even more stressed.

Are the leaves very green on both plants?

-Ben
    He who can, does. He who can't, teaches. -George Bernard Shaw
    I love these shirts!!!
    My Growlist
    My Webpage

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    with sundews, sunlight makes dew NOT HUMIDITY. that CF bulb still needs to be even CLOSER. i have mine about 4 inches from my 75watt(output) CF
    Alex
    Everything is explainable. The seemingly unexplainable is but a result of our insufficient knowledge.- Hans Brewer

Stop having a boring tuna, stop having a boring life! neon-eon's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was using a 30 watt compact bulb for my sundews because I thought I read somewhere that that they were equivelent to 100 watt tubes. Thanks for the clarification. I have two 40 watt tubes but they're too big to fit inside the greenhouse. I saw some smaller 40 watt tubes at lowes that should work just fine. I'll try do redo the lighting for my greenhouse as soon as possible.

Yes the coloration on both plants appear to be just fine.
    -No matter what you do with your life, I still care about you. -Mr P.

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A plant under 30 watts is like trying to get a suntan by candelight

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wait wait wait whoa... what about 55 watts? Ugh I had two (GIANT) 55 watt lights over my terrarium ( http://www.topbulb.com/find/Product_...ductID_E_49800 ), my neps have beautiful coloring but is that not enough for sundews?

I HAVE had the same problem in the past with no dew on my dews but..I always thought it was humidity. >_< Maybe that's why my scorpiodes [Edit: actually this species is spelled, D. scorpioides] died.
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 01-17-2007 at 07:57 PM. Reason: Correction of scientific name
    Growlist
    I'm back?

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChronoKiento View Post
    Wait wait wait whoa... what about 55 watts? Ugh I had two (GIANT) 55 watt lights over my terrarium ( http://www.topbulb.com/find/Product_...ductID_E_49800 ), my neps have beautiful coloring but is that not enough for sundews?

I HAVE had the same problem in the past with no dew on my dews but..I always thought it was humidity. >_< Maybe that's why my scorpiodes [Edit: actually this species is spelled, D. scorpioides] died.
    Those lamps are rated at 3300 lumens each, so basically you're starting out with about 6600 lumens which is roughly equivalent to a cloudy dull day. Remember light energy is subject to the inverse square law (divide by the square of the distance, so 1 foot candle would be 1/4 fc at two feet, 1/9 fc at three feet etc.). It takes quite a bit of energy to produce dew so sundews like lots of light. The closer the better.
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 01-17-2007 at 07:58 PM.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Please remember that every time the light produced from the spiral bulb hits another part of the bulb it's lost. You're getting about 35-40 top auctual watts from the spiral PC. If you don't have a good reflector, even less light reaches the plant. Nepenthes are very easy to please when it comes to light, not quite the same story with Drosera.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast