What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D burmannii

Ok someone is going to ship me 50 D. burmannii seeds and these are my first time with seed growing. Here is a list of copy and pasted questions I sent him so if yall could answer them also and tell me anything else I should know like dromancy.

When should I put them in the ground? How long would it be till I see growth? I know they are annuals so how long till they fully grow? How should the mixture be? Do I put them in the ground and if so how deep? Will they produce offshoots or whatever? If I put them in one big pot how far away should they be? When I put them in the ground or whatever should I put fungicide on them? If I dont will they most likely die or what? Lol sorry for all these questions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Answered them in your PM.

-Ben

Answered them in your PM.

-Ben

Uh sorry did I offended you in some way? Sorry if I did its just that its good to hear things from a variety of people.

Oh, no, it's just that this plant aint too complicated, all you do is sow and forget. lol.

It literally is a weed, and spreads uncontrollably in many collections, so I thought that what I wrote would be good enough. lol

-Ben

D. burmannii is a weed.. sprinkle some seeds on top of the media of choice, mist them a bit, and put them on the tray watering system. In a while you will be cursing the guy who sent you those seeds...

Good luck,
Steve

Uh so basically just dump them on the the mixture? and I only have small pots will that be okay? And will it be okay if I put them outside now or should I have them under lights?

Err I said "sprinkle" not "dump".. they are small rosettes.. 1-2" across usually, and they grow EVERYWHERE!! Big pot, small pot, tall pot, short pot, red pot, blue pot.... I am convinced that these plants would grow just fine planted in a block of concrete on the moon.

Thank yall and I know I am making it harder then it needs to be but I am always so nervous when doing things with plants. But it doesnt matter how close the seeds are does it and uh the light question.Terribly sorry but for all CPs will it do any harm to any CPs if they have other CPs or non CPs growing relaly close to them? Thanks
dangit another question! I heard that if you cut the flowers off before it opens you can keep them for more then a year. Is it true? And how much seed will each flower make?

What's to be nervous about lol? Just sprinkle them on the media and stick them under lights wherever your other plants are. You can cram as many cp's together as you want as long as they don't overgrow each other and starve smaller plants for light. They won't digest each other if that's what you're thinking.

If you can grow a weed you can grow this plant.They are however, shortlived, but grow to maturity very very fast. I dunno about cutting off flowers and seed. I cut the flowers off of everything so I don't get weeds.

i have had quite the time with the "weeds" i have never had D. capensis just spontaneously sprout up even after i left the flower stalk on for a whole extra week when the flowers were spent. i had some 50 D. burmannii seeds with only 1 that germinated! i also only had 1 P. lusitanica out of maby...25-30 seeds. weeds just dont work for me :) .i have heard that you can cut off its flowers and it may live longer...but it wont live forever. i think a member named CopcarFC had a D. burmannii have like 13 flowerstalks and it didnt die! just by luck i suppose.
Alex

D. burmannii is easy, but sometimes it just doesn't take. There's really no getting it right or wrong - prep your pots with the right type of soil, put the seeds on top, and keep it wet with CP-safe water. That's it. My first try with D. burmannii yielded an enormous tray of plants, but my second try, a crop of seed that came from my first generation plants, returned far less adult plants than the first, even though I used vastly more seed and used essentially the same practices. Like Alex said, some so-called 'easy' species just don't work in all situations. I've had batches of P. lusitanica fail on me for no reason at all, and others go gangbusters. And I couldn't get my D. spatulata to produce viable seed if my life depended on it.
My advice is to put your sowed pots into a tray next to some common Drosera that does well in your collection, such as a D. capensis. So long as the common plant is OK, you're doing everything right. In my experience, D. burmannii has highly variable germination and maturation times, but you should probably see the first teeny tiny seedlings after three weeks or so. Times are different to maturity - I have some plants that are the size of dimes and producting flowers, and others larger than quarters that still seem to be in juvenile growth. At the very least, you probably have at least a month from germination to maturity, probably more, and chances are they won't flower until the days get short. When sowing, they go directly on top of the soil - the seeds and embryos inside are tiny and will be buried deep enough just by the soil that washes over them when you water. Fungicide might help, but is pretty much unnecessary unless you put the seeds in an unhealthy environment like one that's super humid or poorly lit. D. burmannii is called a weed for a reason - you don't have much to worry about. No, they don't commonly produce offsets, but they set seed in such quantities that it shouldn't be a problem. Even if you only get one plant out of your fifty-odd seeds, if it makes it to flowering, you shouldn't have any trouble keeping it in your collection.
~Joe

Yeah I've tried to germinate D. burmannii twice and neither tries worked. >: (

I dunno what it is with me but i always seem to have the worst luck with the easiest plants. D:

reg, you remind me of myself when I first started growing CPs, I was like constantly freaking out all the time thinking I was doing something wrong... an overprotective parent. You'll outgrow that.. and when you do.. tell me cuz I want to know when I will. x_x;

Any annual sundew that easily flowers can be self sustained in a collection since it'll flower, die, and like 50 little babies will take its place. I think that's the definition of a weed.

Yall said something about putting it next to other sundews. Well I dont have other sundews. I would prefer to put them outside when I get them. Is that okay or should I wait? If I cant I would like to put them under a pair of grow lights. Will that be fine? And it was said the light span has to be shorter till the flowers come up. How would I do that inside under grow lights?

Ooohh....i actually like your photo of Ping amongst Drosera!! :-D

It looks way cool..... Pinkie Ping in a sea of light green!

Peter.

(BTW, you need to reset your link to your photo album. It has some extra "\" that render the link null.)

Last edited:
Oddly enough, intentional attempts to germinate them are less successful than doing nothing at all. I have them pop up in at least 3 different pots. Weird!

Took me 2 or 3 months my first time :) Then I gave up and planted something else in the pot and now they are sprouting and growing fast.

Hey reg, don't sweat it. I don't know waht part of Florida you live in, but I live in Miami and they're very easy, just sow them, keep them well water on tray and let them bake in the sun. As long as you keep tiny seedlings out of the rain you should be fine growing them outside.

album reset

(BTW, you need to reset your link to your photo album. It has some extra "\" that render the link null.)
Thanks for the advice on my photo album Pingman. I reset it.

Last edited:
Lauderdale,
Nice pics of some cohabitation. Both looking very good.

Back