What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should I transplant?

I planted some D. brevifolia seeds a while ago, and only recently have they sprouted, and are growing fast. The largest ones have their first true leaf out. But, when potting, I used some pretty well washed perlite in the soil, and not even that much, maybe 70/30 peat/ perlite, less even. Anyways, it apparently wasn't washed enough, and algae and moss have started to grow, and I'm worried about the seedlings, because some slime is very close to them. Would I be able to transplant them w/o damaging them?

-Ben

Moisten well and you should be able to just pluck the seedlings out with pair of fine forceps without damaging the root.

Chances are you'll be transfering spores or other propagules of the moss & algae and you'll just wind up with a fresh colony too.

I'd just pluck out the moss and scrap back the algae where possible. Lowering the humidity and/or direct sunlight usually takes care of algae but your seedlings probably won't tolerate that yet.

Thanks.

I'm not worried about the spores or anything; they can only thrive where there is that perlite, so if there is none when I transfer them, they'll be ok. So I figure I'll just try to get them into a pot of fresh soil, with no perlite, mostly peat, and keep them in the same environment, since it is much more mild than the shelf, where they will grow later.

-Ben

I get algae growing in my peat/sand mixes and pure peat too. It's just more obvious earlier on the white perlite. LFS can sometimes prevent algae growth, but you can still get it growing on LFS.

I'm planning on germinating my seeds on a top dressing of LFS on peat/perlite for the Sarraceniae and peat/sand for the Droserae. My Darlingtonia will be in LFS/Perlite.

I transplanted 5 of 'em today, and it was pretty easy, since they didn't really seem to have roots, unless of course I ripped them off....:-(

Anywho, here's a pic of one.

DSCN2768.jpg

They seem to be very fast growing.

-Ben

looks like a good job to me

They should do fine. Good luck. I look forward to when you have some for trade. :poke:

I sure hope they do ok. I've moved them to a more 'harsh' environment, a lot more light, and a little less humidity, but I think they'll be ok.

Lol, don't worry, I'll prolly have tons of seeds. I should be thanking Syble for these seeds, though!

-Ben

K, just another update.

Full size
brevifolia.jpg

Crop
brevifoliacrop.jpg

-Ben

Look at that dew! It must be doing well.

I transplanted some of the unknown seedlings in my Drosera capillaris x rotundifolia because they were getting overgrown with some carpet moss or fuzzy algae. All I wound up with was a cup full of carpet moss or fuzzy algae :(

If you wound up with a cup of that stuff, I'd say you have a mineral problem. What exactly do you use for your plants' media?

-Ben

Typical sand/peat mix, top dressing of finely chopped LFS. The original is in peat/sand/perlite. To be fair, a couple of the transplanted seedlings had bits of the fuzz on them that I didn't know how to remove without the aid of a microscope. Seedlings were only a couple millimeters across at the most. They're dead now, I put them outside hoping the lower humidity would dry out the fuzz, but temps shot up into the 80's and RH way below 30%. That's okay, there were only 5-7 seedlings, I still have maybe 20 or so still in the original pot.

Back