What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Does a well-fed sundew produce more flowers/viable seeds?

Finch

Whats it to ya?
This is a information gathering post
I was wondering because in my garden, the plants I ‘feed’ often have more flowers per structure than unfed individuals of the same species. Last year I found out that, in atleast 3 cases, the plant had more viable seeds. Im pretty sure, because the viability wouldn’t have anything to do with location and pollination- it was more of apparently viable seeds germinating. Does the parent health have anything to do with seedling vigor, as well?

Because if that is true, I would recommend feeding your cp’s well to maximize the number of potential offspring. But what are your experiences in this regard?

Yes absolutely.

A well-nourished human woman will have a healthy baby, but a malnourished woman will have more chances of having an underdeveloped/sickly baby (assuming she has one at all that is)

My experiences? Well.. I cut off all flower stalks as soon as I notice 'em :)

Good observation there Finch ! I think your right about that. The flowers are initiated, develop under certain circumstances and conditions. Every species is a bit different in their requirements. Find the correct combination of food, light, heat and humidity and your # of flowers is maximized. The same applies to seed production. The proper conditions increase the number of viable seed produced. When the flower develops it has the unfertilized seed ready to go. How many get produced depends on pollination and growing conditions.

This is a information gathering post
I was wondering because in my garden, the plants I ‘feed’ often have more flowers per structure than unfed individuals of the same species. Last year I found out that, in atleast 3 cases, the plant had more viable seeds. Im pretty sure, because the viability wouldn’t have anything to do with location and pollination- it was more of apparently viable seeds germinating. Does the parent health have anything to do with seedling vigor, as well?

Because if that is true, I would recommend feeding your cp’s well to maximize the number of potential offspring. But what are your experiences in this regard?

LOL! I'd have used the same analogy, but with a guppy!:-))

Back