Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Drosera capensis arrived

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's only a 20 watt so I will try to get a stronger one next trip to the pet store.

VFT and Drosera lover vft guy in SJ's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chris View Post
    If you set it outside, will it still dew up if there is a good amount of wind?
    Yes it will. Typically what happens is the wind blows the leaves together and scrapes the dew off the plant.. as soon as it calms down the go right back on their merry way.

Thanks, I placed it under a lightbulb in my basement as it has been cloudy for awhile.
    Even on a cloudy day a windowsill is better than the basement. Get that poor guy into the best sun you can find for Feb in Mass. You can put the fluorescent bulb over it in the window as well and that will make it even better. After the frost ends.. get that guy outside and let it feed and soak up sunlight.

Cheers
    Steve
    There are only 2 infinite things... the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not too sure about the universe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What sun?

Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ant View Post
    What sun?
    The ambient light that comes through even when it is cloudy. It's not like pitch black midnight all day every day there is it?

xvart.
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At the moment the light from the light bulb looks more effective then the light from the stormclouds that have been here for month.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My temperature in my house is about 22 degrees celcius. is that good for a cape sundew? i would like to know the temperatures of other houses too.

Stop having a boring tuna, stop having a boring life! neon-eon's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My first one was a D. capensis also(Istill have only three sundews though) The capensis is way cool, once you see it curl around a bug for the first time you'll be hooked. OK, here's what I would do. first off ,do you have any goldfish bowls? If you put the capensis in there it should increase the humidity a little bit. (dont take it out and replant it, keep the D. capensis in it's original conainer and move it into the bowl.) If you don't have a goldfish bowl then you can use a plastic soda bottle with one end cut off. Also, make sure that the plant is sitting in about an inch or so of water. Secondly, I would move the plant into a room that already has a little light in it, like a bedroom perhaps. You might want to get a compact plant light that's at least 80 watts. If you want you can also use a couple of florescent tubes, they take up more space but they're alot less costly. I personally have been using a 30 watt compact flourescent bulb, which I've heard isn't enough. After moving my three sundews under it though, they started to dew up real niceley so who knows.

All right, good luck with the D. capensis.

-peace

-Gabe
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 02-08-2007 at 05:15 PM. Reason: Correction of scientific name
    -No matter what you do with your life, I still care about you. -Mr P.

Stop having a boring tuna, stop having a boring life! neon-eon's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PlasmaShock View Post
    My temperature in my house is about 22 degrees celcius. is that good for a cape sundew? i would like to know the temperatures of other houses too.
    22 degrees celcius, my brother said that's 71 degrees Fahrenheit... so that tempurature is perfect for your sundews. My house is a tad bit cooler than yours actually. I do have a heater in my room, but that's just for my Nepenthes.
    -No matter what you do with your life, I still care about you. -Mr P.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast