What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera capensis arrived

Ant

Your one and only pest!
Hi, my Drosera capensis has arrived in the mail and I was wandering if you had any tips on how to get it to regain its stick quickly. Thanks for the help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Browse through this section of the forum.. there are about 5 million threads that will help you out.

But it seems that the most important element is light... lots of it.

Humidity is also important but i think capensis can adjust over time to different levels of humidity.

Regardless, it may take a couple of weeks for your plant to adjust to its new environ before it starts dewing up again.

I keep all of my plants in a 55 gallon tank. I use 4 Ott-Lite flourescent tubes for lighting and keep the plants about 6 to 8 inches from the light.

I'll prob move them closer to the light soon so that they will color up nicely

good luck!

D. capensis is an extemely adaptable plant. You probably will not get dew on the existing leaves. Put the plant in a tray of pure water (distilled, rain, or Reverse Osmosis) about 1/2 to 1" deep and set it outside in the sun. In a week or 2 as new leaves grow you will have lots of dew.

Good luck and welcome to the forum
Steve

If you set it outside, will it still dew up if there is a good amount of wind?

Thanks, I placed it under a lightbulb in my basement as it has been cloudy for awhile. I don't know why it says I am in florida because I am in massachusetts.??? Any way I will change that soon.

what kind of light bulb are you using? CPs prefer flourescent light. incandescent(normal everyday lightbulbs) are not the right kind of bulbs for it.
Alex

Its a spiral light that was made for reptile cages like tortoises. Now that it past away it was the only free light I had. Is this okay?

Its a spiral light that was made for reptile cages like tortoises. Now that it past away it was the only free light I had. Is this okay?

Is it like this one?

If so, that should be okay for some light. You might want to think about adding a couple if possible. Are you only growing the D. capensis? I'm guessing you are growing the sundew in the reptile tank? If not, try putting the bulb closer to the plant (about 6 - 8 inches).

xvart.

It's only a 20 watt so I will try to get a stronger one next trip to the pet store.

If you set it outside, will it still dew up if there is a good amount of wind?

Yes it will. Typically what happens is the wind blows the leaves together and scrapes the dew off the plant.. as soon as it calms down the go right back on their merry way.

Thanks, I placed it under a lightbulb in my basement as it has been cloudy for awhile.

Even on a cloudy day a windowsill is better than the basement. Get that poor guy into the best sun you can find for Feb in Mass. You can put the fluorescent bulb over it in the window as well and that will make it even better. After the frost ends.. get that guy outside and let it feed and soak up sunlight.

Cheers
Steve

??? What sun?

??? What sun?

The ambient light that comes through even when it is cloudy. It's not like pitch black midnight all day every day there is it?

xvart.

At the moment the light from the light bulb looks more effective then the light from the stormclouds that have been here for month.:cry:

My temperature in my house is about 22 degrees celcius. is that good for a cape sundew? i would like to know the temperatures of other houses too.

My first one was a D. capensis also(Istill have only three sundews though) The capensis is way cool, once you see it curl around a bug for the first time you'll be hooked. OK, here's what I would do. first off ,do you have any goldfish bowls? If you put the capensis in there it should increase the humidity a little bit. (dont take it out and replant it, keep the D. capensis in it's original conainer and move it into the bowl.) If you don't have a goldfish bowl then you can use a plastic soda bottle with one end cut off. Also, make sure that the plant is sitting in about an inch or so of water. Secondly, I would move the plant into a room that already has a little light in it, like a bedroom perhaps. You might want to get a compact plant light that's at least 80 watts. If you want you can also use a couple of florescent tubes, they take up more space but they're alot less costly. I personally have been using a 30 watt compact flourescent bulb, which I've heard isn't enough. After moving my three sundews under it though, they started to dew up real niceley so who knows.

All right, good luck with the D. capensis.

-peace

-Gabe

My temperature in my house is about 22 degrees celcius. is that good for a cape sundew? i would like to know the temperatures of other houses too.

22 degrees celcius, my brother said that's 71 degrees Fahrenheit... so that tempurature is perfect for your sundews. My house is a tad bit cooler than yours actually. I do have a heater in my room, but that's just for my Nepenthes.

It is only until the sun returns. If it ever does anyway. :sleep:

It's a D. capensis. Drop it on your windowsill. It'll be fine. If you kill it, we all have seeds we can pass along for you to try again.

I don't think I want to yet it's first new leaf is starting to grow agian.

Back