Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Drosera capensis arrived

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Drosera capensis arrived

Hi, my Drosera capensis has arrived in the mail and I was wandering if you had any tips on how to get it to regain its stick quickly. Thanks for the help.
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 02-08-2007 at 05:13 PM. Reason: Correction of scientific name

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Browse through this section of the forum.. there are about 5 million threads that will help you out.

But it seems that the most important element is light... lots of it.

Humidity is also important but i think capensis can adjust over time to different levels of humidity.

Regardless, it may take a couple of weeks for your plant to adjust to its new environ before it starts dewing up again.

I keep all of my plants in a 55 gallon tank. I use 4 Ott-Lite flourescent tubes for lighting and keep the plants about 6 to 8 inches from the light.

I'll prob move them closer to the light soon so that they will color up nicely

good luck!

VFT and Drosera lover vft guy in SJ's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    D. capensis is an extemely adaptable plant. You probably will not get dew on the existing leaves. Put the plant in a tray of pure water (distilled, rain, or Reverse Osmosis) about 1/2 to 1" deep and set it outside in the sun. In a week or 2 as new leaves grow you will have lots of dew.

Good luck and welcome to the forum
    Steve
    There are only 2 infinite things... the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not too sure about the universe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you set it outside, will it still dew up if there is a good amount of wind?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question

Thanks, I placed it under a lightbulb in my basement as it has been cloudy for awhile. I don't know why it says I am in florida because I am in massachusetts. Any way I will change that soon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what kind of light bulb are you using? CPs prefer flourescent light. incandescent(normal everyday lightbulbs) are not the right kind of bulbs for it.
    Alex
    Everything is explainable. The seemingly unexplainable is but a result of our insufficient knowledge.- Hans Brewer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its a spiral light that was made for reptile cages like tortoises. Now that it past away it was the only free light I had. Is this okay?

Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ant View Post
    Its a spiral light that was made for reptile cages like tortoises. Now that it past away it was the only free light I had. Is this okay?
    Is it like this one?

If so, that should be okay for some light. You might want to think about adding a couple if possible. Are you only growing the D. capensis? I'm guessing you are growing the sundew in the reptile tank? If not, try putting the bulb closer to the plant (about 6 - 8 inches).

xvart.
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast