What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pics from Phil's GH

Great Pics!! Great plants!!

I love the macrantha...gotta try some...

What is in the 2 pics after venusta and before peltata?

D. cistiflora :) It's beautiful, isn't it!

For some reason my D. macrantha looks different than yours.
It has more cupped of traps and longer tentacles

Woah, now that's a big Regia... I also really like the B. Liniflora's.. those are the most delicate and sculptural I've ever seen! Fantastic!!

Wow, just wow!

And Phil, your D. regia gets THAT big in the summer?! I would love to see a sundew catch a yellow jacket...

:hail:

Yes...it gets that big. It's grown in super bright light...enough so that the leaves also turn red. This plant did actually catch a yellow jacket. As I mentioned before the dew drops are incredibly large and uber slimey. When the bee got caught it was almost instantly engulfed in a pool of...well....snot LOL!! The whole leaf wrapped itself around him until it looked like a corkscrew. It never fully uncoiled after that, probably due to the size of the bee.

Do you use LFS for your Queensland sundews?

Cheers,

Greg

Yes Greg. Both the D. prolifera and D. schizandra are grown in pure, live sphagnum and the D. adelae are grown in dried LFS, mainly because they are grown out in the open.

Wow, it's a hard choice to decide who I want to live with now. Bugweed or Phil, hmmm??? Sure you don't need a maid, I would work for free if you let me stare at the plants for at least four hours a day.

By the way, what is your D. macrantha growing in? It looks like pure perlite.

My D. macrantha is growing in a mix of 2 parts silica sand, 1 part Canadian sphagnum peat and 1 part pummice. The pot is top dressed with crushed quartz chips. I do this because I top water all my tuberous species and the chips prevent soil from flooding out the top of the pot.

Now...about this living arrangement thing. You definitely want to live with Bugweed. I'm scary! LOL! Although I like the idea of someone wanting to look at my plants for so long.

Those are some great looking plants, Phil. I hope someday to have a sweet greenhouse that people whisper about in the shadows. lol. I like the fact that you don't have a camera or a way to upload pictures because it creates this air of mystery around your plants. Everyone waiting for a time when someone gets some shots and posts them!

Sure you don't need a maid, I would work for free if you let me stare at the plants for at least four hours a day.

LOL. "Will work for allowed ogling time."

xvart.

Phil,
Great looking, healthy plants. Maybe someday, my thumb may also turn green.... ???

Question on your D. prolifera: it looks like the conditions for your D. schizandra are virtually ideal but the D. prolifera with the D. schizandra don't appear to be as optimally robust (not that they look bad or anything). Are the D. prolifera younger plants or are other conditions more to their liking (or am I imagining things?)?

D. adelae & D. schizandra typically grow like weeds for me (different conditions) but I haven't yet found just the right combination to make D. prolifera thrive. They do ok - but don't take over the place like they do for some people ....

Waitacottonpickinminit!!!!!!!!!! Phil, You promised a place in your bog, and I intend to take you up on that! Stay away from my place, my plants and I are moving to Phil's!! My D. regia was that big too! I loved the way it wrapped around whatever it caught, completly tying itself in "regia" knots. And yes, the glue drops are IMMENSE!!! When the sun shines through them, it can be a beautiful show!

Check THIS out Phil! I am as sticky as your macrantha! U B stuck.

Last edited:
Back