What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is this at all normal???

My apologies for not being able to provide a picture of this, but I have to ask this question to my more advanced friends on here. I have a 2 year old Staghorn sundew (Drosera binata) that I was told should only reach a maximum of 8 points per leaf. I have a beauty growing now that has 12 points, and another opening that has 14 points. Should I be a proud plant dad, or is this normal?

It wasn't a binata, but it is in the binata complex.

It's normal. Some plants can have dozens and dozens of points.

i think you have the D. binata 'Multifida Extrema' or D. binata var extrema(or is it var multifida??) its been reported to have at least 60 points on one leaf!!! then again you could just have the regular staghorn sundew which is D. dichtoma....i think.
Alex

AH!!! Good olde D. binata again, huh? Binata complex is made up of many similar looking sundews. Some fork only once, and is referred to as the "T" form. Another usually shows 4 to 8 points. Why bother calling it anything but binata? However, it also comes with dichotoma mixed into that. Dichotoma's are VERY complex and can have points from 4 to 55 to 60 points. Normal with this complex is relative as they can throw out many suprises in their, and your, lifetime. Just grow it, and enjoy it, and be prepared for odd leaves from time to time. Whatever you do, don't try to figure it out or you can end up in the CP nut house!

The Staghorn sundew is usually tagged as D. binata dichotoma or simply D. dichotoma - eight or more points aren't uncommon in my experience. Most of mine have leaves that have third-degree forks, with some branches forking a fourth time, so mature leaves seem to be between eight and sixteen points.
~Joe

Back