Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: infestation

The ignorance of man stains the land! Victoria's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

infestation

3 of my sundews have been infested with a bunch of little white things that look kinda like tiny grains of rice....one person said they were probably mealybugs........talk about a bummer!

So my question is how should I get rid of them???? It was suggested to me to try a product called Bayer advanced rose and flower spray but it is not sold in my area....I am going to do a websearch to see if I can get it online.

I also read to try getting them off with rubbing alcohol so I will give that a try tonight.....the same site said that you can submerge the plants in water for several days to get rid of them.....

Are the rest of my CPs at risk of becoming infested as well? My houseplants are also in the same room as the CPs and I dont really want them to get infested as well...

Thanks for any tips and suggestions!!
    Victoria
    They are slowly and painfully killing you.....did you know that?

How brainwashed are you?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    EASY! Use ortho's Isotox. Any spray with a base of acetephate (sp) will kill aphids, thrips, scale, and whitefly. It is systemic, and will help protect the plants as well. I have used it for years, and won't stop now.
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks! Is it safe to use around pets? With 70+ parrots in our home we have to be very careful with what chemecals we use.

How brainwashed are you?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since almost any pesticide and many household chemicals can quickly be fatal for most birds. I would get some q-tips and get busy rubbing them off by hand. Mealy bugs can hide underground feeding on the root systems, so a temporary submergence in pure water may also be helpful.
    Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How long should I submerge them?

How brainwashed are you?

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't had to deal with mealy bugs.... yet.... but have dealt with aphids on a few occasions, all on sundews. Taking what Joseph said, I have submerged their pots for as little as 2 days and as much as a week. Seems the 2 days was sufficient to drown those critters. I would just get a glass or plastic container and place the infected pot in it, overfilling it with distilled water. And then wait a couple days. The plants will look like "drowned rats", but they recover. Haven't lost a plant from intentional drowning yet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, so I need to submerse the whole pot with soil, plant and all, instead of throwing all the soil away, submersing the bare root plant, then after a couple days of submersion repot them in new soil....

Thanks for all the help, I just want to make sure I do things right and dont kill my plants. Its comforting to know you have had success with this method!

Victoria

How brainwashed are you?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Victoria, Merit is safe for indoor use. It is the same stuff as frontline. So this is why I like using it. It is safe for indoor use. Now unless you know something different about it and the safeness of it with Birds then be vigilent with spot treatment. I tried the submerging the plants trick, but never had luck with it for me. Now maybe I did not leave them underwater ehough.

Again the stuff I recoment is Bayer Advance rose and flower spray. It is sold at lowes and walmart. It is also a systemic like bugs recommendation.
    JB
    Friend me on facebook with JB_orchidguy@yahoo.com.
    Growlist Updated 05/08/13

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast