Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How I grow petiolaris complex

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Close up on the access panel. To make these I just use window screen material and toss a piece of plastic along the sides (if anyone wants a better explaination on how to make one I can give the details.)

I have the exact same deal on one of my tanks. I taped ziplocs on the inside of mine. And here I thought I was the only one cheap enough to do it that way!

Looks great though. I think using two or more fixtures next to each other is the key to using flourescent fixtures. I have just one over my plants and I have trouble getting anything to color up that isn't directly under the lights.

Peter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pyro...thanks. It does kinda look like it's spiraling inwards. Hope it keeps getting bigger though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rubrarubra View Post
    I have the exact same deal on one of my tanks. I taped ziplocs on the inside of mine. And here I thought I was the only one cheap enough to do it that way!
    Actually I use the spline to hold the plastic on. Does not give way under perpetual humidity like tape can. I also use winterizing plastic since it is more heavy duty.

Looks great though. I think using two or more fixtures next to each other is the key to using flourescent fixtures. I have just one over my plants and I have trouble getting anything to color up that isn't directly under the lights.
    I definitly agree that more light is better. I would go to 6 tubes if I had the room but...

It does kinda look like it's spiraling inwards. Hope it keeps getting bigger though.
    Hey Manny,

if it does keep spiral then it might be trying to go dormant. If that happens then try to cut back on the water some. If you can safely allow the tray to dry for 2-3 days that should be good.
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat
    Hagerstown, Maryland

--

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been keeping them drier in the winter, but now the days are getting hotter and the rainy season is about to start.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Should probably be fine then. Likely it is just reacting to local weather and will pull round on its own.
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

Hagerstown, Maryland

--

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what size pots do you use in those tanks? They seem tall. I have been using typical 4" pots for complex plants and taller pots for tuberous. Do the complex prefer the taller pots as well?
    All proofs inevitably lead to propositions that have no proof. All things are known because we want to believe in them.

My Growlist updated with available trades and pictures - PM if interested

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    6cm tall type. 6 x 6 x 10 cm tall. I use them as a matter of space economics (i.e. more pots per tank so fewer tanks) A standard 4" pot is fine though

See You Space Cowboy

Hagerstown, Maryland

--

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by homer View Post
    I found it difficult to cross-pollinate my plants during the week, as they bloomed for only a few hours a day (while I was at work). I ended up taking my plants to work and pollinated them at my office. So, don't be ashamed! It's not easy... I do the pollinating on weekends nowadays.

I've very pleased with the ordensis x paradoxa as well! I haven't lost 1 single plant out of the batch Strong plants!!

Once some of my other little ones develop their characteristics and get larger, I'll post another thread.

thanks Pyro!

-Homer
    I was searching Petiolaris Complex cultivation topics and ended up here. Anyways, here is one of Homer's ordensis x paradoxa plants:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123