Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How I grow petiolaris complex

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How I grow petiolaris complex

Thought this might be of interest.

I have 4 40L tanks set up this way. Lighting is by 2 120cm shop light sets (2 tubes per set). Heat is by 50W aquarium heaters in submerged in the water.

From the front

From the side

With the access panel

Access panel removed

Showing heater

Close up on the access panel. To make these I just use window screen material and toss a piece of plastic along the sides (if anyone wants a better explaination on how to make one I can give the details.)

And a graphic on how the air circulates. The red arrows show air flow. Cool air comes in the bottom and hot air out the top. If you look at side view with the access panel in place you can see condensation on the top.

A different tank (more plastic so higher humidty) but it shows well how the air flow runs. Where there is free access to the screen the glass remains condensation free, where the airflow is impeded by plastic there is condensation.

'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat
    Hagerstown, Maryland

--

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These are great, again helpful for me. I used a 20 gal much the same way with standing water and a submerged heater. I never thought of turning it on its side, and was frustrated with the wasted vertical space... Do you ever have problems with water stagnation? I ended up using a filter for circulation.

Steve
    All proofs inevitably lead to propositions that have no proof. All things are known because we want to believe in them.

My Growlist updated with available trades and pictures - PM if interested

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a tank on its side as well. I don't have any water on the bottom though. For a heater i use a reptile heating cable that is wrapped on the inside of the tank. It keeps it about 80 degrees at night.
    Peter.
    Please check my website for photos:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/minicatt/sets

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice!

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This will have to be my own personal "sticky"! I'd have to supplement heat with a submercible heater, along with the tank and flo lighting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well done! I posted some photos a few years back of my setup that are very similar to yours. I didn't have the air circulation you have; that's a nifty feature that is important.

As a side note, its very nice to see more and more Petiolaris Complex topics/discussions posted all the time, as more growers cultivate these unique plants.

Pyro - quick question: do you cross-pollinate your Woolies? I ask this because I've found it to be very-worthwhile and rewarding.

I've had success this past year with the following:
    (dilatato-petiolaris "Nhulunbuy, NT") x ordensis
    (lanata x broomensis) x ordensis "Type Area, Mirama Neal, Australia"
    ordensis x paradoxa

I have an ordensis x kenneallyi in the process of cross-pollination now. Can't wait until all the hybrids become large/old enough to distribute.

-Homer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you Homer, your praise I value highly.

THe air circulation thing is just a sort of fluke of the system, I did not design the set up with that in mind.

As far as cross-pollinating, I admit to my shame that I have not been. I know that I should and I keep telling myself I need to but I never really get around to it. At the moment I don;t have much blooming either other than 4 or 5 different paradoxa clones and I am not sure I need (or anyone else wants) more paradoxa.

I have some petiolaris putting up inflourescens though, I will do my best to cross them with something...

THe ordensis x kenneallyi sounds cool. Can not wait to see what it turns out looking like. I have been very impressed with the ordensis x paradoxa I got from you, very pretty little plants
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

Hagerstown, Maryland

--

Fancier of The Insectivorous Plant Christopher's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You have a neat setup. Those plants are beautiful.

I just ordered myself a pygmy sundew. I think they're lovely plants.
    "Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've always imagined." - Henry David Thoreau

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast