Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: D. aliciae propagation

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Except for this winter, where it has been in a closet, under a fluorescent light, room temp, I have always had them at a window sill. It's my usual sand & peat, with LFS on top. Except for that occasional blackening crown phenomenon, it has always done well, producing plantlets. Actually, it reminds me of a less prolific version of D. spatulata.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    my D. aliciae loves the light it is getting. 100w daylight CF and some from a second bulb. its very red and very dewy. ill get pics tomorrow
    Alex
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 03-08-2007 at 01:08 AM. Reason: Correction of name
    Everything is explainable. The seemingly unexplainable is but a result of our insufficient knowledge.- Hans Brewer

VFT and Drosera lover vft guy in SJ's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by glider14 View Post
    my D. aliciae loves the light it is getting. 100w daylight CF and some from a second bulb. its very red and very dewy. ill get pics tomorrow
    Alex
    Really? To be honest I have never experimented with this plant. As I said it seems to thrive where it is, and I lean towords the "If it aint broke, dont fix it" end of doing things. Maybe when I get the GH built I will start some experiments on this plant. MUUUAAAHHHHahahahahahaha!!
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 03-08-2007 at 01:08 AM. Reason: Correction of name
    There are only 2 infinite things... the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not too sure about the universe.

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had mine in a tank, maybe 3 inches from the lights. They loved it. I moved them to an east facing windowsill to make room for some B52s in the tank. They get maybe three hours of direct moring sunlight and bright reflected light (white building next door) during the afternoon. They seem just as happy there as the tank.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the leaves are more of a copperish color.

Alex
    Everything is explainable. The seemingly unexplainable is but a result of our insufficient knowledge.- Hans Brewer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Not a Number View Post
    How do the new leaves in the crown look? Are they green or dark brown/blackish? Review this thread in that regard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Not a Number View Post
    Sounds fine to me. Try giving it the powered bloodworm treatment and see if it perks up. Other thoughts are to repot or even the extreme decapitation (cutting off the leaves).
    The leaves are green with a slight black color in the middle. I think I will try repotting and some root cuttings and see what happens. Here are a few pictures of the plant and the crown. Also, what is the weird looking thing sticking up on the right side of the crown?

John 3:16
    My grow list/want list
    Prior to the funeral home visit, we heard ~ "Hey'all watch this ! !"

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd wait until Joseph gets a look at these pictures before repotting or taking root cuttings. Looks to me like it needs more light.

I'd give it the powdered bloodworm treatment and move it closer to the lights.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not a Number, sounds like he is onto the right plan. This species, Drosera aliciae, also seems to do its best in LFS and deep pots with high water levels. Some overhead watering helps when the humic acids begin to accumulate in the crown. They color and bloom well with very high light levels, their optimum cultural requirements are similar in most ways with Drosera capensis.
    Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast